Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Mi11er, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    This will be the first year that I will be putting out a garden. First, when do you start planting? Second, I am planning on planting corn, different kinds of peppers, mators, and maybe some beans. I don't want to get crazy on my first garden. But my question would be what types of vegetables should a beginner stay away from? Another thing is my back yard doesn't get sun all day long. Is this a problem? Thanks for the help

2. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Choose the most sunny spot you have.I live in north Texas and planted my irish potatoes yesterday. I think you have a good selection of basic veggies. All are easy to grow and you should be happy with them. Make sure they get the nutrients they need, be it from barnyard fetrilizer or, a concentrate such as Miracle Grow. Raising veggies at home is fun and easy. I wish you well. Luke Clayton

3. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm not much help last year was my first year gardening. But I learned a few things.

Till your ground as deep as you can. The shallow tilled spot will do noticably worse. Another thing for me is the difference between seeds and plants. Last year I started completly with seeds. And I started them when I planted them. I didn't start them early in the house or let them soak in water like other people. This year I'm buying plants for everything that I can.

Another thing is I'm going take the old timers advice and plant with the almanac. There's really something to that stuff.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I guess that I will have to get one

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    keep in mind corn does better if ya plant several rows rather than just 1 or 2. 10, ten foots rows are better than 2 fifty foot rows.When it get 7 to 9 leaves, side dress it with nitrogen. When it's knee high, pull the dirt up around it. Hippers on a tractor do this best but you can pull it up with a rake. Also, if ya raise peas or okra, they like poor soil. Over fertilize and ya grow beautiful vines but few peas.

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Make sure your ground/soil is good and warm before you plant corn...plant to early and it will be stunted.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jess, you can raise a fair garden with hand tools, but it takes alot of work. To really do a great job and work the soil proper a power tiller is a must. Like the other members said the deeper the soil is worked the better the outcome, also good fertilizing means alot, poor ground will need some routine fertilizer, if your top soil is really dark and deep, you can get by with less. Get you a good hoe and rake, keep the hoe sharp. If you get a five gallon bucket and fill it half full of sand, then poor a quart or two of old motor oil in there, just jab the hoe down in it when they day is done it will rarely need sharpening. Vern