Newbie to Upstate Catfishing Needs Help!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by UpstateFisher, Feb 29, 2008.

1. UpstateFisher

UpstateFisher New Member

State:
    SC
    Before I sold my pontoon I knew where to catfish on SC lakes, but since I sold it my interest waned on fishing because I didn't know where to go. But my interest is now a lot higher that I've been reading of catfish success on upstate rivers.

I know nothing of fishing upstate rivers and right now the only way me and my family can do it is from a bank. I have a 5 year old son that LOVES to fish so I need to get him out there and feed that interest. Where is a couple good honeyholes that i can take him to catch some fish and really feed that interest? I've been reading about Broad River fishing and Saluda River, but open to anywhere in the upstate that I can go for success this spring.

It may also work on the wife to one day replace that pontoon with a nice river rig! Any suggestions would be appreciated! If you can also include specifics from main roads on how to get in, THANKS in advance!:big_smile:

2. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Welcom to the BOC. You could try fishing beside the Hwy 247 bridge in Belton. I fish that stretch of the saluda all the time, and usually do pretty good.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Gary and Nathan

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Gary.

Theres six public areas on Broad River in Gaffney. Your best choices are Big Bay Access Area, Pick Hill and Ninty-Nine Dam off of Ninty-Nine Ferry Road. I can't give directions for crap but Duke Energy has maps on their website. Good luck.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
  6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary Welcome to the BOC. You will love it here and someone will be able to answer all your questions.:0a25::0a25::0a18:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC Gary!!!

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Welcome to the BOC, Gary! Lots of great folks and the best all around info on the web!
    BB in SC

9. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome to the BOC!

10. UpstateFisher

UpstateFisher New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks Nathan, I'm in Belton pretty frequently, I'll check it out. And, a BIG welcome to yourself! This looks like a very helpful website!

11. UpstateFisher

UpstateFisher New Member

State:
    SC

Thomas, that's very helpful information! I'll check their maps, I was reading your replies about these places scratching my head as to where the heck Pick Hill is, 99 island and so forth. I did a google earth view of the river and 'think' I know 'about' where it is.:eek:oooh: Northwest of Shelby Hwy bridge maybe? Is there a tool anywhere that will give river depth like we can get on the lake maps? Just hopin' to get a headstart on the deep holes!

Anyway, thanks again for the helpful info, I hope to be able to offer up help in the future as well!

12. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Yeah man, glad I could help

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    As far as I know they're not a topo map for Broad River. But I can tell you a few deeper holes that can be reached from shore. Pick Hill is off Ninety-Nine Island Rd. out of Blacksburg. If you are coming down the boat ramp on the left side of it the water is about 15-20 feet deep along the bank. At Big Bay Access from the parking lot head upstream just over the hill the water is about 15 feet deep(maybe a little deeper) but the water is swift. All the deeper water that I have found in Broad River are in swift water areas.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am not familar with the area but most waters are similar. Find a deep hole with some current. Go to the top of the hole and drift through until you are about 25 yards past the end of the hole. Use cut bait, either skipjack or shad. Try each hole 2-3 times you will begin to see where the fish are hitting, then if you want you should be able to anchor in and fish that area. If you don't get any hits by the end of the second drift, move to next hole. If river is too small to drift, fish the deep holes that have lots of structure. These will typically be outside bends in the river.