Newbie to the Lafayette Area - Hoping to fish the Wabash this weekend - Help??

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by wellman450r, Sep 9, 2008.

1. wellman450r

wellman450r New Member

State:
    Lafayette
    Hey everybody. I just got out to Purdue a few weeks ago for grad school. I have a buddy coming up this weekend and we were hoping to fish the Wabash around Lafayette.

However, I don't even know where to start. My friend talked about bringing his boat up but I don't want to have him drag it up for no reason. Plus, the river seems to be really down. Would love to go after some good cats but if some other good fishing presents itself we wouldn't turn it down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    First off Mike, welcome to the BOC.

Right now the Wabash is pretty low, and even though there are plenty of places you could probably get around in a boat, but I was down there the other day and I don't think I would try it. There are several public access ramps in the area- couple of the close ones to campus are on SR 43 at Happy Hollow Rd, Fort Ouiatenon, and Granville Bridge. Of those place the Fort and Granville might be the best water for a boat, they are deeper water overall compared to the SR43 access.

There are lots of places to bank fish there in West Lafayette. Pretty much anywhere you can get down the the river is fair game; most of it is public property. One I hit up occasionally is Williamsburg on the Wabash apartments. There are two flood control ponds there attached to the river that draw some fish. That whole area is easy to get to and fish. The quality of the fishing just depends. There are other places if you want to know, but directions to get to them are more than I am willing to type right now. PM or post it here if you have questions. There are several other guys on here that are from the Lafayette/West Lafayette area too. They may have some suggestions.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Michael Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

5. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Welcome to BOC Michael

6. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Mike,

Welcome to BOC man. I am glad you signed on. I wonder who your buddy is? Does he go to Ball State and work on Yellow Perch? Ha Well I hope we get into some big old Indiana Cats this weekend.

7. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Welcome to the BOC Ben you will love it.

8. wellman450r

wellman450r New Member

State:
    Lafayette
    Went out tonight. Great time. I'll let bnorth fill everyone in on the details.