Newbie to Markland Dam Area (and to Catfish1)

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by lake2river, Aug 23, 2008.

1. lake2river

lake2river New Member

State:
    Patriot, Indiana
    Hi guys,

Have looked around here for a few weeks, but reckoned it's time to say hello. I moved down to the Ohio River in July from north central IN. I grew up fishing the Wabash near Lockport, Rock Creek in Carroll County, and France Park. For last 10 years or so I've been killin time on Lake Manitou (the hydrilla lake), Lake Bruce, King's Lake, and my favorite river of all time, the Tippecanoe (from Leiters Ford to Winamac).

Am now within a few miles of Markland. Haven't been out yet since I've been here, but I'm really, really, REALLY ready to get the poles out of storage. I am boat-less for now so a few weekends were spent scoping out possible bank sites for a late-nighter.

Most of my old targets were channels and flatheads from the river, so I don't have any line over 20 lb test. So need to re-gear before I try to introduce myself to Ohio River blues. But I am SO looking forward that.

Although I fish a lot, I am a rank amateur. Bein' outdoors is the best part of fishing for me and I always claimed rights to settin' up the tent, cookin, and wound-care. Seein' the pole bend is a close second, but I still have lots to learn. Hope to do a lot of that here, and maybe even meet up with some folks.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Were looking forward to reading your post and looking at your pics. :0a22::0a25::0a25:

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome to the BOC brother Mike

4. lake2river

lake2river New Member

State:
    Patriot, Indiana
    Thanks guys. There's a lot of experience and information here and I'm glad to have found the BOC. As soon as I get my old computer moved down here, I'll be able to post a picture.

5. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    I fish that area alot and if I ever get a motor for my boat, I would be more than happy to take you out and show you around a bit. There is a lot of good bank space down your way as well. Welcome to the BOC.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good information and great people

7. plukr54

plukr54 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Welcome to the BOC, Mike.

8. lake2river

lake2river New Member

State:
    Patriot, Indiana
    Thanks again guys. I'm getting ready to head back north this weekend and plan to be on the Tippecanoe and Lake Manitou a couple of nights. If I can squeeze in some time to move all my stuff down here (like a house full of furniture), I'll be ready to try Ohio River shore fishing by Markland dam, Bryants Creek, and Goose Creek over in Patriot.

Was wondering if anybody uses live frogs much down here?

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mike ,
    Welcome to the BOC glade you came in to the brother hood so much info here and a good library also

again welcome from

SO. Alabama

10. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Well I hit markland last weekend for the fisrt time since I just moved to Indiana and I was impressed. Especially with the low water conditions.

11. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Welcome to the BOC.

12. lake2river

lake2river New Member

State:
    Patriot, Indiana
    Thanks, Ross. Will reply to your message soon (the system says I need 10 posts before I can send a private message).

Mike