Newbie to Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by SkiMax, Jan 30, 2007.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I am wanting to learn how to fly fish. I have plans to move to Montana after college (2 years) and I want to learn before i get out there. I have been searching the internet a little bit and the best deal I have found for cheap is the http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat600231&hasJS=true

I was thinking of the 8 foot, 4 weight as of right now i will mainly be targeting bluegill while learning but might also try a white bass or two while they are running. thanks for any advice!!!

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I would probably reccomend using something more to the 5-6 weight range so you can target bigger species as well. I have a Pfleuger Medalist 9 foot 5/6 weight, and I catch everything from small bream to medium sized bass and it is a BLAST!!! Its a 50 dollar combo. I just now need to learn how to tie flies so I don't have to spend so much $$$ buying poppers!! Also, a heavier rod will be easier to throw with, less flex.

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Exactally! thats great advice. I would only add not to go any shorter than a 9' rod. especially if your just beginning. Also use a good or better quality floating line. You might also try hight floating flies and streamers. AKA: poppers and devon minnows depending where your fishing. The name of this game is using your better judgment and common sense. Be aware of your surroundings in the order of what "bugs" are in season also, what you actually see in, on, around/near the water yourself. Nice smooth casts and placement isn't as critical as your fly selection, for the most part if your going for smallmouth. Just use a little popper and work it back slowly to entice it/them. Now, if yourgoing for trout then all bets are off! lol. They are so finiky at times that I have litterally dropped a pattern that were hitting on all day right infront of it and it just sat there. This is when a perfect cast, the right placement & fly selection come together. Don't get frustrated cause it takes practice and LOTS of patients. Just hone your casting abilities and remember why your "waist deep" to begin with....To have fun of course! If you have any specific questions that I can help you with feel free to ask. Your friend Jay
    Fly fishing is a way of life and a great teacher.

I wanted to add one more tip for ya'- When your practicing your casting in the yard try getting on your knees to simulate being in the water. You'll be surprised how well it works! Also, use a piece of yarn, instead of a fly, for balance. Remember in Fly-Fishing your casting the line not the lure.
    Good luck to you!

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    lots of great info guys, i REALLY REALLY appreciate it!!! Keep it coming! :cool2:

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, here is some good advice for when you go to Montana....

Take a 9 ft 6 wt, not for the size of flies or fish but for the wind....
    Take your job with ya, because there are none...
    If you want a woman , better bring one of those too...
    Lastly, Winter is much longer there then about anywhere else...
    Did I mention that it gets "really" cold there?

If you can work around those obstacles.. youll love the place!

Salmonid

6. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

1. I have a job out there waiting (i'm a semester off of getting my high school Bio teacher degree)
    2. Woman are not as important as fish at this point in my life (i have the rest of it to be settled down, only while i'm young can i travel!)
    3. I am an AVID snow skier, the only thing i like as much, or more, than fishing so long winters is a BIG plus (actually why I am moving out there, the Tetons offer some GREAT skiing)

So I am ready for this, now i just need some experience fly fishing to get them trout while there isn't snow on the mountains.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    tying flies aint hard but getting them to set still long enuff is :lol:

yeah max get you a 9' rod 5/6 wt and tapered backing and come find me theres a shallow creek nearby ill teach you in 20 minutes how to throw a 50' line its not hard once you see it done .
    i envy you a little buddy i lived in powell wyoming for 3 years when i was preteen would love to go back out there some day spent alot of time shoveling snow i love snow , in the mountains theres snow on year round . we lived in the basin between the bighorns and the tetons . what part of montana you going to ? and when you leaving us behind .

8. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i plan on moving out there here in the next couple years. not sure i wanna live their permantly but wanna spend a year or two. I wanna live somewhere near Big Sky-my favorite place i have ever been skiing, bar none. and it looks like you'll just have to make visits out there and do some fishing with me :)

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm not a pro flyfisher, and mostly work ponds and lake shores for bass & bluegill. I have found that using a weight forward floating line with at least a 6' tapered leader works great with little poppers and floating bugs/spiders. Ive never dry or wet fly fished streams or rivers so I cant help you there. It looks like you are getting good advice on rod/reel set ups. Just remember, you dont have to go broke to learn. I probably dont have $75.00 in my rig, and it works just fine for what I do. Once you learn to cast with good placement and maybe learn to barrel roll you will have a blast. Good luck and happy fishing.