newbie to cold weather catfishing

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Flightline, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I havn't done any cold weather fishing but work is going to be slow til after the first of the year so I'm planning on fishing.

Not looking for secret spots, just curious if anyone is doing any good right now? I see the number of posts on here have dropped off a lot since the temp dropped. Anyone fishing Ft. Gibson or Hudson?

Is it any good below the dams this time of year?

or should I just spend my time on a crappie dock.........:confused2:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Ft Gibson Dam is hit and miss right now (At last report I got) Stripers and hybrids were being caught about daylight against the retaining wall. Cats had slowed down. With the temp dropping the Blues should start moving in to the mussel beds. We need a few days of a steady North wind or South wind to bring the shad in to bank.

3. ShawnWatkins

ShawnWatkins New Member

State:
    Ok
    the name of the game for cold water cats(when the water is colder than 40 degrees)is the river channels in the lake... Fish bends in the channels and look for intersecting creek channels, old bridges or any other structure that will hold ambushing blues... these fish will hold on the ledges. wind and bait also play an important role in locating fish...

dont be afraid to fish water 50-60ft deep... Good electronics with gps will help tremoundsly!!

4. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah, i fish hudson and gibson, more hudson then gibson and Grand, this time of the year for me i fish for larger blues, i catch consistanly more of the bigger fish, but you can also catch alot of smaller blues in other areas, doesn't have to be in deep water, i catch alot of big fish in 2ft to 5 ft deep, monday we caught a 42lber and 20+ lber with another 60lbs of smaller fish, i wouldn't go with the deepest holes you can find, depending on your depth of the water your fishing, alot of newbies are missed conformed of the deep hole ideas, but either way getting out and spending time and trying other techniques will help you along the way, good luck and ask all the questions you need, always glad to help, sgl

5. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info, I'm going to go out tomorrow and give it a try, I'm hoping they will be active before this next cold front comes in on Tues.

So I don't have to fish the deep holes in this type weather? I checked the water temp today and it was around 48 degrees. Where I like to fish there is a long flat that ranges from 6'-15' and then drops off to the river channel to about 25-40+.

6. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Those are exactly the type areas I fish on Oologah this time of year and it usually produces good results. I have not been ablt to go fishing for the last 6 weeks and it is killing me. I hope to go this week end if that holiday thing does not get in my way.

7. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    no, not at all the'll produce fish yes, good startin out points in unfamiliar waters or just out trying diffrent spots, good lucks

8. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well I went today and got my PB BLUE! :0a12: Here it is. I caught these in about 15-20' water. I caught the three smaller ones first and then had one break the main line on one of my jugs and then I noticed one jug taking off into the wind. :big_smile:It was the biggest of the day!

Attached Files:

9. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    well there ya go, see deepest waters don't have to apply, you proved that yourself, good job, keep at em

10. Flightline

Flightline New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info on the depth south grandlaker ! I would have spent all day fishing 30+ ft deep water and wondered where they were at.