Newbie Snaggin' Reel suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by triggerhappy, Jan 27, 2006.

1. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    New here and was wondering what people thought of differences between the Penn 309 and Abu 6000? I'd prefer a spinning reel real but it seems they are much more expensive when you get into the larger reels suitable for snagging. I've got to keep it around $50-60 as I'm in college and well, the money just aint there. It'll be bank fishing around the dams.

My buddy who's introduced to this incredible sport lives by the penn 309s. That's fine, but the Abu 6000 looks to be compareable and a little cheaper. Keep in mind I'm grown up using spinners and good ole Zebco 33s for everything from bleugill to 20lbs pond cats. If there's one out there that's big and tough enough (without branking my tiny bank) I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What are you snaggin? Spoonbills?

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Houston, the 6000 ABU is a little small and light for snagging, although anything will work. If I had to choose between the Penn and the ABU I would definately choose the Penn. If you want a good spinning outfit for the price, check on Ebay. They often offer some pretty good deals. Right before Christmas I purchased two of the older 209s with the metal spool and in good condition for $45 including shipping. Check out the Tica brand for a good inexpensive spinning reel. I bought three of them, I kept two and gave one to my father and that was about five years ago. We are still fishing with them and I snag with both of mine every year. They have also caught some large cats. Good luck and be prepared to be hung up plenty especially around those dams. Vern

4. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Yes spoonbills.

Thanks Vern, I'll take a look at the Ticas and decide between them and the 309. I'm not looking for the best rig, just something to get me started.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The 309s are great reels for snagging.
    They will hold plenty of line and are built strong with a very good drag system.
    You will need to pratice with casting long distances with it if you plan to fish from the shore.
    As for the 6000 I think they are to small to snag with.
    They wont hold enough line and there drag system is not as good.

6. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Alright, the 309 has been e-bayed...now, any rods you guys know of besides the eagle claw "snagger"?:rolleyes:

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Houston, Catfish Connection carries a shakespeare sturdy stick in a snagging rod. They are virtually indestructable. Although I prefer a long rod if i"m snagging off of the bank. I usually use a 12ft with a spinning reel. You can get a farther cast with the long rod. From the boat, I would definately choose the sturdy stick. Vern

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh man! vlparrish, you took the words right out of my mouth!

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    vlparrish,would you consider the sturdy stik snagging rod a capable replacement for an E-cat #4 ? I bought two new 7000 big game reels and I haven't made up my mind on the sturdy or the moyer boss. I read a couple years ago in In-fish of a guy who used them for live baiting big blues. I just like the way my E-cats have that fast tip. What do you think?

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Triggerhappy, I'm not familiar with your waters and regs, so forgive me if I make some wrong assumptions. Here in Arkansas snagging is done below dams on the Arkansas River, usually in swift current. If you aren't fishing from a boat so you can chase a big fish, you better have a lot of heavy line on your reel. IMO, the difference between the Abu 6000 and the Penn 309 is like the difference between a Geo Metro and a Lincoln Navigator. Even so, I've seen guys get spooled while using a 309 while bank fishing. Even a cat that only weighs 50# or so is really difficult to land from the bank, if you're fishing in swift water. Most of the really serious snaggers in this area use the Penn 309. Another advantage of the 309 is that there is an electric retreive system available for it. No, it doesn't winch the fish in--all it does is turn the handle for you. But with all the reeling in after each 3 or 4 jerks, it saves your reeling arm, plus, it's much faster, allowing you to make more casts. If you can't find the electric retreive system for the 309, PM me and I'll send you info on a local dealer here.

11. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Thanks jtrew but I'm trying to get in with as little money as possible. A non-winch type of electric retrieve actually sounds like a great idea...but isn't something "needed". Now, about this time next year after I've been fully infected with the snagging disease might be a different story :)

Thanks again to everyone helping me out...my reel *should* be in friday..just in time for the weekend. (one of the rivers still has year-round season...for another month or so)