Newbie Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Relocated-Yankee, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    Hello,

I have been fishing for about 40 years, but never for catfish! I am also new to this club, so I hope I am posting in the right place.

I fish in a small river in eastern NC. I am fishing the outside bends where there are large snags. I have a Ugly Stik 6'6" MH rod with an Abu Ultra-Mag reel (circa 1986). I am running 20# Trilene BG with a 2oz no-roll slip sinker. I am using an 18", 50# leader with a 4/0 mustad sea circle hook. I believe this river has a decent population of channel cats.

Finally here is the question... What bait to use in this cold water? I don't have any live bait or cut bait. I can get night crawlers, or frozen shimp, or chicken livers at wal-mart. Or is this the wrong time of year to start catfishing???

Thanks

Scott

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Scott Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Your rigging sounds good. If you have more current you will need to up your weight size. Look for the deep holes also. You need shad or skipjack but if you can't accure that I would go with shrimp soaked in garlic.

3. Relocated-Yankee

State:
    Goldsboro
    So get some shrimp from the grocery store, peel it, and soak it in some type of garlic brine?

Let me know if I got that right. Is this bait best for cold water in the winter months, or is it effective all year?

BTW, thanks for the Welcome, happy to be here!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You got it correct. Garlic powder from the grocery store will work fine. I place it in a zip lock bag and coat it heavy. Use the next day. The longer it sets the better it works. It is most effective in the warm months but will catch fish in the cold months also. Be patient and good fishing.

5. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    welcome to the BOC scott

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the Boc, this site is full of good info and great people

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro

Scott, I could not believe my eyes when I read the heading of your thread. A Yankee asking a southerner for advice, this just might be one of the last signs that the world as we know it is coming to an end.:smile2:

Now on the serious side, since you are new to the waters that you will be fishing, you probably should visit your local bait and tackle shop and chat with those fellows. Next I would go down to the boat ramp early one morning or late in the evening and talk to the fishermen in the AM and PM and ask them some question about cats in that area and what they are using for bait.

Welcome to North Carolina and the BOC

8. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Welcome to the BOC Scott. You came to the right place. There are a lot of Pro's that can answer all your questions, and be sure to post your results

9. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    you didnt say what river you were fishing, someone here probably fishes there. live bait shouldnt be to hard to get in eastern NC atleast the bait stores here in central NC say thats where all the good bait goes, Thats why they have hard time getting it. If the river you are fishing has blues I would try harder to get live bait fish, cut and alive it is good bait for flatheads,blues and channels but flathead bite will slow down soon. This is the right time of year to fish for cats, you have a good chance to hook a hog this time of year and you will be hooked on big cats from then on. Pick up a cast net and practice a little, and bait will be plentiful:wink:
    good luck, show your pictures

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Welcome to the BOC man! There is a few of us down here in the eastern part of NC, let us know what river/creek you're fishing and I'll do my best to help ya out and I'm sure others will too. You're rigging sounds pretty good if the current isn't bad. Also, if you could aquire a couple more rods that would help too, 4 baits in the water is better than 1:wink:

The shrimp will work on the cats, however, we rarely catch any with size. Most of the larger fish we get come on cut bait of some sort. If you can get them either by catching them or buying them eels are dynamite bait here in the coastal rivers and creeks. Just cut them into 3-5in chunks or if they're really small cut the tail off and use them live. They won't come off the hook and you can catch multiple fish off of the same bait. Also any kind of fish you can catch in the creek/river itself will work. Send me a PM if you want and I'll do what I can. Hope that some of this helps!

11. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yes what area are you fishing. there is probably someone on here that has fished that river and will help. i agree with eels or any bait fih. as long as used by regs and caught within regs. eels are the best bait i have found. anyone who has fished with me can tell you this. i have caught cats over 50 plus pounds and released them back to catch again. so remeber keep what you want but put some back for breeding and stock.

12. Relocated-Yankee

State:
    Goldsboro
    You are a bunch of friendly cusses!!!:wink:

As you may have seen from my profile, I've never actuall caught a catfish!!! Even though I've been fishing about 40 years!

I don't have access to a boat, so I will be fishing the banks of the Neuse river here in Goldsboro. There is also access to the Little River behind the Cherry hospital.

I thought I would try the Neuse at the Waynesboro Park, next to that floating dock thing? Does anyone know that location?

Where would I go to toss a cast net for bait?

Thanks Bro's

Scott

13. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    welcome to the BOC, I like the avatar!

14. Relocated-Yankee

State:
    Goldsboro
    I'm hopin to have a pix of me with a cat sometime soon, I don't care if it's a 2#er. :smile2:

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Scott.