Newbie question Fishing the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jun 7, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'll be fishing the Mississippi River soon and out of a boat soon.

Ok, a dumb question. You are anchored. When you have a bunch of rods out on them cross-bars all side-by-side what the hell do you do when you get a fish on?

Do you reel in the other poles to get them out of the way?

Sounds like you could have a problem on your hands if you get into a big one.

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Normally you can pull the fish away from the other lines, however the largest fish I have pulled to the boat was a 32...I normally don't have any problems pulling the fish in the direction I want it to go.

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I often fish alone so I can answer your question. Sometimes you are going to get tangled with the other lines. But the only way to reel in the other rods is to put the one with the fish on it back in the rod holder. You see the problem here. If you cross the other line and it gets snagged up, you got a good chance of breaking the fish off. If I am in a tourny and it looks like I am going to cross up, I will put the rod in the holder and bring in the ones that could cause problems. Of course if you have someone with you just reel them in. It is better than losing a personal best.