Newbie Question about reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by KansasKatCatcher, Apr 16, 2008.

1. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Got a quick question about fishing line on reels. I can't find any reels that are rated above 30 lb test. Even the saltwater reels. I want a reel that I can put 80 lb test line on it. Please help. I will be fishing Monster flathead in the Missouri river. Thanks for any help.

2. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    You wont find many that will, i personally use 80# braided line thats only the diameter of 20# test, and it works fine for me. If you are planning on using mono or want a reel that holds a lot of line look at the penn 209's and 309's. They are built for heavier line and fishing period. All the abu ambassadors 6500 and up are also good reals that hold heavy line with ease. If you deceide to get a smaller reel, just get the braided line and look at the # test equivilant to it and it should do just fine.
    I hope this helps

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Check out the Shimano tld series of reels. I read in the cafish insider a couple of years ago that the TLD series would handle big mono, 80 lb test, and big flatheads. Below are some of the specs. Check them out. I hope this helps. By the way welcome to the BOC.

TLD
    Preferred for its light weight and reliability, this offshore leverdrag reel will give you years of dependable service.
    Features
    Graphite Frame
    Graphite Side Plates
    Aluminum Spool
    Rod Clamp
    Barrel Handle Grip
    Counter Balanced Handle (TLD 15 only)

TLD
    Model Line Retrieve Per Crank (in.) Line Capacity (# Test/Yards) Max Drag at Full w/ Freespool (lbs.) Max Drag at Strike w/ Freespool (lbs.) Ball Bearings Gear Ratio Weight (oz.)
    TLD15 30 20/450, 25/350, 30/300 22.0 15.0 4 BB 4.0:1 18.6
    TLD20 32 20/700, 30/450, 40/330 23.0 17.0 4 BB 3.6:1 23.6
    TLD25 32 30/600, 40/450, 50/350 22.0 17.0 4 BB 3.6:1 24.5

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would check out Cabella or bass pro shop they should have some reels that could hold that much test line

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Here's another vote for the Penn's. The 309 will hold a bunch of 80 lb test, and 300 yards of 65 lb PowerPro doesn't fill it half way.... The Jigmaster is another good choice for a true casting reel, but no level wind on this reel.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you asked for it here ya go http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat600379&hasJS=true total overkill.:tounge_out: there is a bigger one. just because a reels rated # is less than you want doesent meen you cant put larger # without damaging it. i did the same thing when i decided i wanted to start hunting large cats and went out and got one of the largest reels i could find. not always the best option. something around the size of a 309 would probally be big enough then go from there with options you want levelwind, lever drag, gear ratio, reel weight .... alot of research will help keeping from ending up with something your not happy with.

7. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you want to go with 80lb line the choice would be braided line it has a smaller diameter. As for the reel Penn 330,309 any comparable size reel

8. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Thanks for all the helpful information. I understand what yall are talking about now. My fishing buddy talked me out of getting the baitcasting type because of something called backlashing and keeping your finger on the line are something to keep it from doing it. Any good spinning reels that can hold up to a big cat?

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Basically if a reels line MFG. rating is only 30 lb. doesnt mean that you cant use 50 or 80. Just gotta adjust the drag. Just remember you can buy all the fancy rods and reels that are available, it dont mean much if you dont understand how the drag works.

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    You might also want to check out Okuma's Classic Pro reels, the CL552W is rated for 50# mono. Also the Titus series reels, the T-50L is rated for 80# mono and the top dog Titus Gold TG-50 is also rated for 80# mono for a mere $350.

11. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Even though the reel isn't "rated" for a heavier line, you can put whatever lb test you want on it. For a 6500 size reel, I personally think that 30lb mono is max, for capacity and castability. I've used 6500's with up to 40lb line, and I can tell a difference in ease of casting and distance using the 30lb vs 40lb. In a 7000 size reel, I use 30lb-50lb mono and they are just fine. I like to have at least 150yds on line a reel myself. I'm not a big braid fan, I fish a lot of rocky areas and have better results with mono.

When you're shopping for line, look at the line diameters on the spool. You'll find that there's quite a variance in line thickness from one brand to another. If you can't get enough line (of the lb test you want) on the reel, it might pay to check another line and see if it's thinner and will allow more line on the reel. Most reels today also list the capacity in mm diameter along with a lb test. I try to find a line that meets the mm rating for capacity with the heaviest lb test. Example: Silver Thread AN40 30lb test has the same diameter of most 25lb lines, and some 20lb lines. One of my favorite reels holds 180yds 20lb, 165 yds of 25 lb (as marked on the reel). I know from the diameter ratings on the reel and on the line that I've got approx 160 yds, maybe a bit more, of 30lb line on those reels.

One thing to keep in mind is that you do risk damaging a reel if you use a really heavy line on it. Some lighter baitcasting reels weren't designed to be used with 60,80, 100 lb lines. Especially reels that were made before the superline craze hit. I've seen quite a few older reels damaged by using the heavy braids on them. Bent spools, spool shafts, levelwinds damaged, etc. I'd say that smaller reels made in the last 10 years (since braids have become so popular) are fine with really heavy line, and most any heavy duty saltwater reel should be fine, regardless of when it was made.