Newbie Question about fishing reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Relocated-Yankee, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    I've been doing a lot of reading, not much posting since I am brand-spankin-new to catfishing. I notice most folks are using ABu reels, 6500 and 7000. Maybe it's my yankee upbringing (ignorance??) but I was wondering why Penn reels aren't very popular? I've got several penn 9's and a couple of 209's that are rock-solid, cast well, and have awesome drags. Those ABu's seem awful light-weight compared to the Penns, what's their strength??? :confused2:

I'm retired Air Force and there is one thing I learned over my career is that southern boys (and ladies) know the secrets about huntin and fishin. :wink:

Scott

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Scott Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. There is a lot of Penn users on this forum also.The 209s are true work horses. Many:0a18::0a25::0a25: of us have both and use them together. This is one of the neat things about this forum. We appreciate input from everyone on their prferences.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the site Scott.. I'm a Abu guy.:wink: I personally think the abus are smoother, and seem to balance the rods I use better than the penns. It's all about personal preference though. I run almost all St. Croix rods, and like how the garcias go with them. goodluck... rollo

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the Boc....Penn reels are very popular on here! I've been using them for years and absolutely love them. I have about 4 of them and wouldnt trade them for anything else on the market!!!!!!!:wink:

5. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    just bought a penn 320GTI and going to see how it works compaired to the ambassaduers , when the ice melts Ill let you know Ill be fishing them side by side

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    its all about personel preference really,it just depends on what your looking for.I like ABUs better because to me they are just smoother and i can cast them better,but penns are fine reals to.

7. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    good thing about catfishing is i can take my cheap rod and reels and catch just as many catfish as the penns and other high dollar reels.go with what you can afford just have fun yall and happy cattin

8. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I love my penn 209s and wouldn't trade them for anything.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i like my king cats from cabella and i wouldnt trade them for any thing iether :wink:

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people. I am sure you will get plenty of ABU input on this one. Good luck

12. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I have several 209's, 309's, Jigmasters, Squidders and I really like them all. I have seen the Abu reels but I have not fished with them. All I can say is the Penns are less expensive, even when I add parts, power handles, etc. and they seem to be much stouter reels. Again, it's a preference thing and what works for me may not for you. I do love my Penn's though.

13. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Ok here we go again , ford or chevy Penn or Abu lol lets get this started well lets see penns are supreme ha ha ha !!! there that should do it. Oh yeah welcome brother .

14. riverhobo85

riverhobo85 New Member

State:
    VA
    i love my penn reels and believe they are more useful for e since i fish both salt and freshwater regularly. to each there own.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont use penn reels because i cant cast them well.

I need to make cast of around 100 yds, and just cant do it with a penn.

If not for that I would probably use a few of them.

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Who told you that????? I'll bet it was the same person who sold you that Hat.....LOL :smile2: Now seriously, you better get you some Penn's:smile2:.

17. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    I guess it is personal preference (i.e. chevy -ford). Seems the Penn guys and gals like them for their ruggedness and low cost of maintnence. The ABU guys (and gals) like them because they cast smoother and look prettier.

I just ordered a 6500 c3 just to see how much smoother these things are. It may be a while before I get to use it, but I'll give you my opinion (for what it's worth) when I do!!!

18. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Come on guys and girls step into the light , 3 cheers for penn hip hip hooray , hip hip hooray , hip hip hooray . Man that was cheesy even for me but it's all in good fun

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I just ordered a 6500 c3 just to see how much smoother these things are. It may be a while before I get to use it, but I'll give you my opinion (for what it's worth) when I do!!!.

Reps to you for a very wise choice! 100&#37; Abu Garcia here! ;-)

Bill in SC

20. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC