Newbie problems with my reels

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by MoBSTa, Apr 28, 2008.

1. MoBSTa

MoBSTa New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a Red ABU- Garcia 6000 I just bought new this year. The brake seems to either be to loose or to stiff, also when I tighten the drag it also seems to tighten the brake and this is just not working.

I have a blue 5500 I purchased last year that worked well last season as I bought it last year, and it seems to be starting the same problem as the 6000.

I also have a 3500 which was my first ABU - Garcia and it has served me well and still is in top shape.

I fish mostly in a pay lake and the size of about 8 acres. I mostly fish on bottom but I have made the transition to top water 8 inch slip bobber's this year with the 6000 and the 5500 this year.

I would think the added weight of the bobber would of been plenty for the reel. As right now I am using two 3/4 oz sinkers with a 8 inch bobber as I thought that would be enough.

Now I have the 6000 on a Ugly 6'6" inch pole and the 5500 on a 7 ft. spinning pole with large eyes.

I have a brother-in-law with a 6000 on a 7 ft. Nite stik and its also a spinning pole. His seems to work fine so I don't believe the large eye in the back is the problem.

Now since the 5500 I have is on my 7 ft. pole should I change the 5500 back to the 6'6" ugly? While I purchase a Nite stik bait cast rod for the 6000?

Am I using enough weight with 1 1/2 oz?

Since I am a Newbie I'm a bit shy to take my reels apart to clean and oil the inside. Since the 5500 and 3500 are a little over a year old I know I need to learn how to do that myself.

With that said, I should start with the 3500 since it was the cheapest but does anyone have idea where I could find a tutorial on doing this for my reels?

Also if you think the 6500 is more of a river reel and just needs added weight please let me know. But some how I got this 6500 at a reel deal for 45 bucks and though it is a new reel I am starting to think maybe I should of just went to Bass pro.

I purchased a season ticket to a Pay lake and made a deal to buy the reel at a cheaper price at the bait shop. Since I'm a regular costumer.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

2. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC. Sorry I can't help with the reels. Just watch the paylake post. Just a heads up.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  5. MoBSTa

MoBSTa New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Bam, Catfisherman and thanks to Fire chief for the heads up.

I can't express how much I would like to fish in a river Fire chief, I am not able to carry excessive weight down to a river for bank fishing and if you look on a map there are no bank side access on the upper part of the Cumberland south of Barbourville.

I love to fish and with my disabilities carry down is almost always a no no for me around here. My uncles Farm Pond is down close to the Upper Cumberland South east of Barbourville. I took my wife down to the pond to camp and take in a weekend of the country life.

Well it lasted until just about half past sun down. As I put my poles in the water the sun started to go down and I was getting the campsite organized as well. When darkness came over I went to light the lanterns and no more than it takes to light 4 lanterns and hang them. I heard my wife Scream and she jumped up in the back of my truck.

As a Timber Rattler made his way down onto the dam of the pond and was headed straight into camp. Down on the farm snakes are bad as my uncle has had multiple horses bitten bye snakes and has had to have the vet come out to the farm multiple times.

I know snakes may not be anything to be afraid of but they do make me keep my distance. As for the Farm pond it lies just beneath a cliff and dead-lift as well as an old deep mine.

I fish a lot and most of the time I'm bye myself, I also have a disability of epilepsy as well and had 3 back surgeries. With Epilepsy I do take a risk every time I do fish alone. And yes I have had a seizure and fell in before.

The man that dragged me from the pay lake is now my brother-in-law.
    It's a funny thing how fishing brings people together.

Oh yeah, maybe I should thank God for Pay lakes.

Anyway I will surely give them schematics for my reels a save to my PC.
    and thanks again guy's for the input.

6. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Welcome to the BOC.

7. MoBSTa

MoBSTa New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks, Junior.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    first and foremost welcome to the board.

second of all if your disabled and can only find access at mowed and accessable paylakes so be it. do not be discouradged. many here will still welcome you.

third. if anyone gets to being a neiusence because of it after time you can click on thier avatar (pic) where it says view public profile. click there. then under it you will see add this person to your ignore list. click there. then you will not be bugged anylonger. its a wonderful feature. just be sure you want to eliminate them first. but you can always change your mind.:wink:

we accept legal fishing methods from cpr to noodeling on here. not all agree and some may try and get to ya to change. yet some will most definatly voice opinions. nothing wrong with that. its up to your standards who to listen to or whom seem rude.

for the most part were all here to help and lots of good info here to search through. for lots of Q's there may already be answeres in the library. but dont be afraid to ask. we will guide you to the links like i did if ya cant find them. welcome.

next. just be sure not to name paylakes by thier name. not allowed. advertizing.

now to your real problem now. i have all these reels your talking about.

on the 6000. the drag star on the handle should not effect the spool in free spool mode (when the release button is pushed). are you fimiliar with the spool adjustment on the side plate under the reel handle?? this is how to loosten and tighten the spool for casting.

if its dirty wich unless your fishing on dirt or sand at the lake it shouldnt be that dirty yet.

cleaning the 6000 isnt that bad. here is a link to a Tutorial i made for a 6500. its the same except for the bearing on one end (oppisite of crank will be a brass bearing. if you need help. click on my avatar. my pic. click on send a private message to cats4uandme. ide ba glad to help if you run into trouble.

post here if you havent messed with the spool adjustment. well help ya with setting the spool.

here is link to the reel cleaning.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3049

here is the table of contents for the library where this is located. on the home page the library is located at the top group.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    also i have given you some reputation points just as a hello. by clicking on you user cp at the top of the menu bar it will tell you what members have given you a reputation point. and what comment they said. i sent a brief message in mine so if you have any Q's just ask.:wink:

10. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jermey thanks for helping him. Need to change your name. To turdle man thanks Sam Davis

11. MoBSTa

MoBSTa New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thankyou cats4meandu I just got in the door and a friend finally got the new 6000 working well. And I also took the 5500c4 and my 3500 in to the baitshop and my friend was glad to take them apart and pack them with grease and oil them.

He said, since the 6000 was new it was just packed a little tight with grease and it took a few long casts to get the grease loosend up a little.
    But he helped me to get it working like a charm.

But I will remember your kindness cats4meandu and thankyou very much for the help. Hopefully I will be able to help you some time.

12. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I sympathize with your situation. I ve had two steel pins put in my back and it really cuts down on your flexibilty. But pain isnt nearly the issue it used to be.
    You might see about getting a county map. They are much more detailed and might give you some idea as to new places to acess water.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    your very welcome. i am here to help folks weather they fish in the ocean or paypond down the road. i didnt sign on here to discriminate.

and i see no one appreciated the post but you lol. lack of thanks for helping that is. oh well truth hurts. happy fishing. and glad ya got your reels working.

fishing is for all to enjoy. and if i take my kids to payponds because theres a grill and close to home with a patio and mowed grass instead of tick infested muddy creek banks so be it. there aint one folk on here gonna make me feel bad about doing so. JMO. like it or not.:wink: