newbie or "TN" newbie

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by randomguy121, Sep 12, 2008.

1. randomguy121

randomguy121 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    hmmm. i have done a moderate amout of reading on here. and i can clearly see that tennessee catfishing is different than fishing farm ponds in missourri. all you needed was some chicken liver or stink bait a lantern and fish on the bottom and you did fine LOL! plus after catching no cats of any kind for a few weeks here, i decided to do some research.

i am a bank fisherman and just wondering what baits do you guys use? stink baits like "BJ catfish bait worked fine in missourrii, or chicken liver worked fine also in missourrii" or those bloddy shad things you buy in the package at wal-mart did fine sometimes... so far no luck here in tennessee though.... every place i catfish at, the water is moving "unlike the small ponds i am used to fishing"

i fish flyns lick creek near gainsboro TN. the water is slow moving and it has a rock bottom. and there is a deep channel i can cast into. i know if i use a bobber it does slowly move down stream. and i fish about 2 or 3 foot deep. but like i said. i think i am using the wrong bait to begin with.. any reccomendations?

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome to the boc thears lots of TN. brothers hear that will jump in and help you out.

3. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dallas,,,you done beat me to it.LOL

I don't know the Laws in your state but live bream and cut bream have always been my go to bait for big cats.
    give it a try and see what happens.
    and like the man said.LOL

welcome to the BOC.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Rick..I know first hand about the change in scenery your talking about cause I'm from Louisiana and can relate to how different the fishing can be..It took me three years of fishing here before I caught my first decent sized cat a 32 lber..And here recently just caught my first decent sized flathead that was 28 lbs..I still haven't even scratched the surface of potential fishing holes yet..I like to bank fish too because I was born and raised on a boat and to be honest I love the change of pace..It's more relaxing and it is really challenging when trying to catch a big fish..As far as a little advice for your fishing technique is maybe try fishing at night especially during the summer months..If your fishing in a deep channel try fishing a little deeper under the cork..Set up a slip cork rig with a cigar float and just keep adjusting the depth till you can figure out where the fish are supended..It'll take some time to locate the fish and sometimes you may simply move..I move around alot even if I'm bank fishing..As far as bait I use fresh cut up skipjack..It seems to me that the big fish like the heads..Whatever I can catch in my cast net too from minnows to shad to crawfish..Live bream as well as cut bream too..I also use liver,chicken breast and nightcrawlers..I don't use any kinda prepared bait..I also chum areas I like to fish..Another bit of advice:wink: keep coming to the BOC, there is a wealth of knowledge here and I come on daily..Good luck fishing!!

5. randomguy121

randomguy121 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    yea, thanks for the info. i have been reading off and on for a few hours now, and night fishing seems like the best bet. and i know of a place i can get allot of small bluegill LOL!

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Rick,

Welcome to the BOC, And looks like Les pretty much has you covered

7. randomguy121

randomguy121 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i will send you guys a "thanks" as soon as i get this website figured out... LOL!

8. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    try taking your cork off and tight line in the channel fish for 1 hour no bites move to another spot and try again hit it in the morning they should bite around 8 or 9

9. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    welcome ole buddy i live in dickson tn if i can help just yell:cool2:

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Rick.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rick Welcome to the Brotherhood. I look forward to reading your post.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to live in Tn and I believe that Bluegill are considered a sport fish. So check your regs. on that for bait. I would take off the cork and fish chunks of cut bait such as "skipjack" on the bottom. Fish at night. Check out some different spots with different depths and bottoms. Good Luck:wink: