Newbie on rods??

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by LadyValea1, Sep 7, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hi... I'm new to catfishing, been catfishing all summer long. I love it!!
    I'm using a spincast reel combo 7feet that cost $25
    I've had good luck fishing from the banks and docks...
    I feel ready for an advance rod and reel..but I really don't know much about anything. I bought a Garcia baitcasting reel. I'll have to practice with this one for a long time.
    I'm wondering about the rods.. what does it mean Heavy? Medium? is that the weight of the rod? and I must consider the fore grip length and rear grip length because I a petite lady.. also what is the deal with soft tip ? sensetive deal thingy
    thanks....this is a great site

2. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Tina, personally I'd get a 7' MH (medium/heavy) rod for that Abu 5600. Make sure it isn't too flimsy at the tip. Getting an Ugly Stick from WalMart is likely your best bet. Just make sure you get on that is for Casting, not spinning. The spinning rods have really big guides whereas the casting rods do not.

Good luck

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Sarge made a good suggestion. The ugly stick is inexpensive, difficult to hurt, and will do the job. I've got the same reel (C4 version). Its a great reel and, once you learn how to set the cast control, it will be easy to use. My other primary baitcaster is also an Abu, but a different model. It was the world of difference when I switched to the 5600. Very smooth reel.

4. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    med and med heavy is reffering to the action acourding on the size fish med hvy is about right for most catfishing needs.hope this helps.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the senstive tip "thingy" allows you to see bites better and from smaller fish as well as large fish. 7 foot is a good length. Ugly Stick are Big Game rods would be a good rod to get.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Guys, I gotta see an eye doctor. Saw where Tina said she had an Abu, but STILL can't find where she mentioned any model number. At any rate Tina, get out in the back yard and practice casting the rod...read the instructions that came with the reel and set your reel to those specifications. The main thing is your thumb pressure...most people just learning forget they have a thumb on their casting hand and are supposed to use it to control the speed the line comes off the reel. I'd say get you some real cheap line and practice throwing until you have had to cut all your line off at least once. Then put on something like 20# Big Game line - you will not need more than that unless you go to a large river like the Mississippi. Try about a 1 1/2 oz to a 2 oz weight at first. When you get discouraged, as you will, just remember there is noone throwing an abu who has not got a birds' nest or back lash - whatever you want to call it. Just enjoy your time on the water and remember - fishing is not seasonal. You can do it year round. Especially down south. On the foregrip/handle, don't think you have much to worry about until you go to a long pole, something around 9' or over. Got a couple of 16' rods that has a handle on it about Two feet long. You need long handles on rods of this size for the leverage. Tight lines girl, and go get 'em.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Tina's reel is in another thread. She's going about things right, though, asking the tough questions in different threads about the line, rod, and reel. Getting good specific responses instead of a jumble if all three were included in one thread. And, its good she found the Brother/Sisterhood. After all, we are all experts. LOL.

About those backlashes, I've met two kinds of liars, those who say they never got them and those who say they don't anymore. Though, with experience, the number will decrease to almost zero. Just that once you are experienced, its called a professional backlash. Still a mess no matter how you dice it.