Newbie needs help!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Bill Robey, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Bill Robey

Bill Robey New Member

State:
    Nevada
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and new to catfishing. I was looking for a hobby that my 16 year old son and I could do together. We tried fly fishing but we both were terribly frustrated. So I did some reading and catfishing seems more my style.

I live in las Vegas and I will be doing most of my fishing at Lake Mead. It is VERY HOT here in the summer. At 2:00 in the morning, it is still 105 degrees on the water. Any tips on how to approach this and what kind of bait? I tried my first outing and I used SHAD DOUGH and I caught 3, 2 to 3 pounders. Any advice would be helpful. There are some big cats in MEAD.

Thanks, Bill (JESTER)

2. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BrotherHood Bill. I hope you and your son enjoy catfishing. Im not from your area, so I cant help ya much. But as far as bait, theres tons of stuff to use. I would probably go with perch, or some Secret 7 dip bait.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    First off Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[º>. I was starting to think I was the only one that lived in Las Vegas. As far as bait,some WalMarts have frozen herring which stays on better than anchovoies or sardines. Cut carp can be used also, its not a game fish so its legal. Are you bank fishing or in a boat? Any questions feel free to ask.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bill,

Welcome to the BOC and hope you will enjoy it and enjoy these moments with your son they will be priceless

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC,in your neck of the woods ,OZZY is the Man ,He can help ya out with local stuff I'll bet. We are allways glad to have new members and theres a slew of folks to help with ANY questions ya might have.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC.

Besides Ozzy helping ya out with local info there is also the member library. There is all kinds of info in there on all kinds of set ups and baits.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Bill! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family, we're glad to have you, and your son as well. :big_smile:

I was going to hook you up with Oz (Mike) as well, but I see that's already been done. Can't help ya much with the heat there bro. I kinda doubt anyone else in Nevada could either?

Can't say we have a large amount of members from Nevada, but I CAN say that we have a membership that is fun-loving, informational, and as helpful as they can be in any given situation.

Enjoy the site buddy.

10. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    If your looking for bait options go with live or cut carp perch or shad. The cats love these fish and I have done well no matter where I was fishing with them. Also you might try chicken liver.

11. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Welcome to the BOC Bill! And it is great to see you are getting your son into this awesome sport and family activity! Good Luck and looking forward to seeing a bunch of big cat pics from your lake!