Newbie needs help and advice on bank fishing Chickamauga dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by tnsojaman, Aug 12, 2008.

1. tnsojaman

tnsojaman New Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Hey guys, long enough title for ya?!? LOL I am a newbie to fishing for catfish. I have been fishing pretty regularly below Chickamauga dam but without much luck. I have been using nightcrawlers and shad, live and cut, and ocassionally a 3-5 inch bluegill. I have been watching other people around me and they have not been doing much better. they are blowing so much water through right now I cant keep my bait on bottom, using a slip sinker rig, 3/0 - 5/0 cirlce hook, with a swivel and bead with a 2-3 oz egg sinker. since I can't keep it on bottom I just let it drift downstream and then reel it in and recast. Like I said I have not had much luck at all. I don't have a boat so I am limited to fishing from the bank. I know that fishing in August is supposed to be tough, but I know that I could be doing better. What or where do I need to be targeting? Shallow or deep? Rocks or mud? Flats or drop offs? Brush or clear bottom? Any advice would be appreciated. I just wanna catch some fish!!!

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chuck Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Chuck.

4. tnsojaman

tnsojaman New Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    thanks guys, I was very happy to find a place like this. Thanks again for the welcome.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try skip jack chunks they should be easy to catch down there and I might try moving down a little bit where the current isn't so rough. But it is summer time and the fishing is a little slow right now. I am waiting for the cooler weather myself.

6. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Welcome to the family Chuck from your neighbor in NE Miss.

7. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chuck... fishing from shore beneath Chickamauga Dam is tough. About the only place to fish effectively is right up by the turbines. I'm sure you've seen the crowd ganged up in the corner.
    One method I have used is also tough, but it works. Drop a bait 5-6 feet beneath a big float... liver, cut bait, chicken breast, whatever. Throw out in the current below the fishing pier (on Amnicola side) and then you have to literally "rock hop... " walk downstream following your float and bait as it drifts with current (as if you were in a boat).
    If they are running more than two generators, you're out of luck. It is tough, and easy to break an ankle in the rocks, but it can be effective. The cats simply prefer a moving bait that's drifting naturally with the current. October is especially good month to use this method.
    If you ever happen to catch a time when there is zero generation, bottom fishing can work. But these days, those times are rare. Also, if you can find a way to get on the shore, around the railroad bridge, on the opposite side of the river (Dupont Parkway side), you might fare better bottom fishing on that side. But with construction stuff I'm not sure where you'd park or if construction crews would give you grief or not?
    Lastly, I'd suggest you go above the Dam (Amnicola side). You can access the rip rap immediately above the Dam at the turbine intakes. Standing on the rip rap point, throw a bait out toward the opposite side of the river. As for bottom fishing you would probably do better up there than below the Dam, unless you try the "drifting, rock-hopping" method.
    Good luck.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Chuck! I grew up in Chattanooga, and Richard is right about the best spot being right up against the dam. In fact, way back when, the guys who really did well took their boats right up into the generator outlets. Can't do that now, of course. I'd give some serious thought to giving it a try down Nickajack way. There's a great looking spot there in the canyon where the generator water discharge is; they've even got a long concrete walkway built just for the fishermen to get out on. And there's a fishing dock below Nickajack on the generator side; or you can go up on the rocks closer to the dam.

9. tnsojaman

tnsojaman New Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Thanks for the help guys!

10. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    welcome to the BOC chuck and that is great advice from some very experienced guys