Newbie needs Big Pee Dee advice

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by snal, Oct 16, 2007.

1. snal

snal New Member

State:
    nc
    Hello all! I'm new here, but have fished for cats a striper off and on for years...mostly Santee, Murray, and Greenwood. I'm certainly no expert, but the whole family loves all kinds of fishing.
    Anyway...the wife and I have aquired a 3rd boat (yeah we love boats) and we're planning a trip from Georgetown up the Pee Dee and/or Black River next weekend. We hope to go up the Pee Dee as far as possible. Our new (to us) boat is a C Dory 22' Angler, basically a cabin boat, but lotsa cockpit fishing room. The boat's draft is only 9"...any idea how far we should be able to go up the Pee Dee?
    Also...we have our hearts set on doing alot of catfishing on this 3 day trip, but we don't have the boat set up for live bait yet...any suggestions for bait?
    Thanks in advance!

Snal~
    (Larry)

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

3. snal

snal New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks Mike! Been reading all of the NC/SC threads here...lots of good info!

Snal~

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Larry , were glad your here!! I cant ans. your question, but I'm sure someone from your area will.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There's quite a few blue cats in the Pee Dee and probably the lower Black too. The blues, and flatheads too sometimes(especially as it cools down) will take cut bait. Since you say you are not rigged for livebait, cut bait is the way to go.

Menhaden, spot, mullet, shad all make good cutbait - heck bring some shrimp, too if you can get them.

Since you are starting in Georgetown, probably the easiest way to get your bait would be to cast net in a creek down in the bay. It is easiest to catch the mullet and such (prolly get some shrimp, too) in the smallish creeks close to low tide. Put the bait in a cooler with ice, but let the melt drain so they are not sitting in water.

Once you get upriver a bit, you should be able to supplement your bait supply with some brim. Just bring along a couple of little rods and a can of worms (or crickets if you prefer) and fish for the brim along the bank and near good looking cover. You can keep a few brim alive for a while in just a bucket, or use them as cut bait, too.

Fish for the cats in the deep holes in the river or by getting as close as you dare to the upstream edge of good looking cover (downed trees and such).

Don't be suprised if you catch a couple of spot tails along the way!

I'm sure you'll get a response from some of the other guys that fish the area, too. Good luck!

6. snal

snal New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks a bunch John!

Snal~

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Larry.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What JA says on the bait. As for distance, you can easily go 50 or more river miles up the Great Pee Dee, even with the low water. Probably 40 or more on the Black River. I would recommend a good chart for the section of pee dee above georgetown where there are a lot of rice field ditches and creeks. It wouldn't be that hard to make a wrong turn without a chart. Hope you enjoy your trip.

9. snal

snal New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks Tommy! I have a chartplotter GPS that I hope will show the area detail well with the eastern lakes and rivers chip that I have. Hopefully charts will be available at the marina in Georgetown...just in case.
    I found one online indication that the GPD was navigable for 70 miles, but I didn't want to rely on that alone.
    If we can get 40 miles on the GPD...and 40 miles on the Black River...that'll make for a nice 3 day trip if we just take our time, which is what we plan to do.
    Thanks again for your help!

Snal~

10. snal

snal New Member

State:
    nc
    Tommy...do you think there will be any sand bars in the 40 mile stretch of the GPD? We'd prefer to beach the boat for our friday night stay on the river, VS swinging on an anchor.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Larry Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Look forward to reading your comments.

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Larry welcome to the BOC. You will be able to find a sand bar no problem but be careful cause even as far up the Pee Dee as the confluence of the Little Pee Dee which will be above the 701 bridge it will be tidal water. You shouldnt have to worry about hitting a sandbar in the river unil about that point also it should be fairly deep. There are alot of good fishing spots along the way and John is right on the money as far as bait and where to fish. Befor you leave NC pick up a couple of dozen live eels and it will be the most productive bait for blues large and small. You can fish them live or cut. Im not to familar with the black river but you will defitenatly be able to camp on sandy island whick is at the mouth of the black and the ICW. There are some beatiful sites up both rivers expect to see a bals eagle or two and alot of swallow tailled kites. Good luck.

13. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome to The BOC Larry. :big_smile:

14. snal

snal New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks for all of the welcomes folks!...and exactly the information that I needed!
    I'll give a full report when we return...but if the wife outfishes me I might leave that part out.:smile2:

15. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    snal, where did you get the chip of the eastern rivers?

16. snal

snal New Member

State:
    nc
    I got it when I ordered my first Garmin chartplotter...can't remember the store name, but it was an Ebay store. I think you can get them from any Garmin dealer, $119 best I remember.

17. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    Thanks snal, when are you making that trip up river?

18. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I'll give a full report when we return...but if the wife outfishes me I might leave that part out.:smile2:[/quote]
    If she does watch out she might join the BOC and rub it in like mine!:smile2:

19. snal

snal New Member

State:
    nc
    Leaving here thursday night...late...launching EARLY friday morning.

Snal~

20. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    Good luck, send use back a report. Did you decide if you are going up the black, or the pee dee?