Newbie Needing Direction

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by IndyMedicGuy, May 24, 2008.

1. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I apologize ahead of time because this might end up being a long post, there is much I want to say.

I grew up in Johnson County and always fished in my grandmothers lake. I always caught fish so there was never a reason to go anywhere else. I could take some chiken liver and a pole and usually within minutes be pulling out some decent channels. I moved away to Arizona for about 10 years and then moved back here a couple years ago when my mom got sick with cancer.

Since being back I have been getting into catfishing. I want to do more than just the farm pond channel fishing, although there is nothing wrong with that. I want to hit the rivers, creeks, and big lakes in search of those big beautiful blues and flattys. Problem is I don't know much about it. I have talked to a few people who shed a little info on it and searched the internet. I have tried cut blue gill, live sucker chubs, and live gold fish. Been to several different creeks, lakes, and rivers and never any luck. I know it is just me, my technique, and my lack of knowledge and experience. I live in the Southport area but fish in Johnson, Morgan, Brown, Bartholomew counties and will go anywhere else if I can catch some fish. I would like to hook up with someone and go out with them a time or two just to learn some things. I would also like to hit the Ohio River if anyone down there would be willing to show a new guy how to do it. I could go on and on but I won't. I will leave you with some questions of mine and go from there. Thanks to all for helping a new guy out.

1. I bank fish, no boat, is there any good spots along the East or West fork of the White River to bank fish from and catch something? If so where?

2. What kind of rig setup is best to use? Especially in the river?

3. How do you exactly hook on the live bait so it presents well to the fish?

4. Am I using the correct bait (sucker chubs, goldfish, and cut blue gill) or should I do something different?

5. What kind of reels are best? And what Line?

6. I don't know much about what the fish like deep or shallow when it is cold or warm, fish at night or day, bottom or bobber, etc. Any and all info appreciated here.

I don't want your secrets, I just want to learn the basics to get started I tried all last year and been going as much as I can this year and no luck. My girlfriend loves to go too so we enjoy it together, it would just be more enjoyable if we caught something lol. Well thanks for listening and thanks for any info.

Kris

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    welcome to the boc iam sure you will find out what you are asking about

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    WELCOME TO THE BOC FROM SO. ALABAMA JUST HANG TIGHT SOME ONE WILL HELP YOU PROBLEY FOR THE DAYS OUT. GOOD LUCK FISHING

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Kris

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    welcome from NE Florida.... search the forums, all your answers are there for the asking...

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kris Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

7. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Kris...seems like everyone is so happy to meet ya that no one answered your questions. I'll take a whack at a few of them.

1. Not sure, The white is a great river to find channels and flats, but I've never fished it. Would love to, just haven't had good opportunity. However, several guys have experience on it and I'm sure could offer some pointers on it. Typer181 is one that I know spends some time on the White around Indy.

2. Alot of rigs can be used, and all depend on the circumstances that you are fishing. But probably two of the most common would be on a three way swivel rig of any sort, or a slip rig. You can find variations of both in the Member Library, which is a great resource for all kinds of info.

3. Speaking for myself I hook live bait two ways. If bottom fishing I like to hook the bait thru the belly somewhere near the anal vent, directly in front of the anal fin. It helps to keep the fish upright and lets it swim more naturally. Under a float and some other rigs, I hook just behind the dorsal fin, being careful to go under the spine.

4. All the bait choices you have listed are excellent. Cut or Live.

5. Put your boots on for this one. Everyone has an opinion, everyone has something they like better. Popular reels are made by Abu Garcia (who might possibly be the most popular among BOC members) and Penn, but whatever you are comfortable with is always the better choice. Line is the same. Power Pro, Sufix, and Stren Big Game are all popular choices, all have a use depending on when, where, and comfort level.

6. I'll comment on Flatheads since that's what I feel most comfortable with. The other guys and girls here can fill in what I leave out. Look for submerged cover. Lots of it. The more the better. Big flats love cover. Look for cover next to some current. As far as depth, if you can find a spot that is shallow that drops into deeper water thats great, alot of times flats will hold somewhere near there. Creek mouths, outside bends, downstream sides of bridge pilings are good places that are easy to find that are likely to hold fish.

There's lots of information on the BOC and plenty of people on here who are willing to share it. Don't ever apologize for asking questions. Everyone is happy to help you in any way they can. Look around meet some people, theres an Indiana Gathering at the end of June on the Ohio River that anyone is welcome to come to. Its a great way to put faces with names, and excuse to fish all weekend, and you'd definitely learn something new.

By the way, Welcome aboard!

8. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! And thanks for the info BNorth. This is a great site, hopefully one day I will have some big cat stories to share too.

9. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    I live in columbus but mainly fish the ohio river in a boat but have fished white river all my life so anytime you need any help or would like to go to the ohio river give me a shout and i'll show you all i can. There is no sense in keeping all the secrets we all know if there is no one to share them with. I would not know what I know if someone else wasn't kind enough to show me so give me a shout.

10. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks a lot, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I will surely be picking your brain as much as I can. I would also love to hit the ohio river sometime. I am getting ready to leave to go to Millrace park there in Columbus and see what I can do. We will definately have to get together sometime and do some fishin.

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Kris,
    Ben gave you some great advice to get started, not the least of which was to suggest the library as a source of more info. Do some reading and take Kevin up on his offer of some inside info. You should be catching soon...W

12. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah i am doing as much reading and research as I can. I am bound and determined to catch me some cats this year!

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome aboard kris! looks like some good advise from ben, good post bro.

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Kris.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet.

I hear a lot of good things about the White river, but havent fished it yet. I believe flatheads are the more dominant catfish in that river.

The carolina rig or slip sinker rig usually works fine. You can also use a 3-way swivel rig that is productive also.

In rivers I prefer to hook live bluegills,suckers,creek chubs through the lips or eyes. This keeps the gills from back-flushing in the current or when reeling in. The live baitfish will live longer. In lakes I usually will hook below the dorsal fin but more toward the tail than the head.

all those will work good cut or live. You might want to add skipjacks and shad to your arsenal.

I have both Penn and Abu Garcia baitcasters. Penn 209s and a 310Gti, Abu Garcia 7000 Big Game. I also use a Shimano 6500 Baitrunner spinning reel when bank fishing.

Look for outside bends in the river, creek mouths, steep drop-offs next to shallow flats that hold a lot of structure such as (stumps, submerged timber, log jams, large rocks, concrete slabs or anything that provides cover, current breaks, and good ambush spots).