Newbie-Just cant figure it out - Cant seem to catch many fish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by gkhuntfish, Mar 18, 2006.

1. gkhuntfish

gkhuntfish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have been fishing the neuse river up from kinston for the past weeks and cant seem to catch many fish. We have lucked up with one channel and a blue about 20lbs so far. We have been using cut shad for bait, and fishing the deep holes with trash, only in the daytime. WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG? Is it just to early or is there a trick to this we are missing!!!!

Any help in the right direction would be great!!!! and I LOVE this site, alot of good info here.

GREG

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Greg I would try maybe moving up just out of the deep holes along the flats. Try Fishing the flats from say 2 feet out to the dropoff. Your fishing the daytimes and the sun will draw the bait fish up on the flats and the cats will follow. As the water warms up the fish will start to run them flats for food. I catch lots of big blue in 2 to 10 feet around this time of year. I have had blues up to 50 lb in 4 feet of water.

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Welcome to BOC Greg!:)

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yeah try the flats behind and in front of these deep holes. Shoot just work your way through from top to bottom and you will find them somewhere in there. Also try live bait.

5. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    welcome aboard enjoy the site

6. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i would say give it a little time.some days you get right in the fish and then other days ya may not Even get a nibble.keep your head up and your line tight and listen to these guys on here most of them know what there talking about.;)

7. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    gk, you must "become" the catfish. you must feel his aura and see into his spirit.........:)

just joshin' with ya.

the best advice i can give is dont give up. the first night i ever went fishing for flatheads(i fished for channels all my life) i caught my best fish(35lbs). pure luck. luck is responsible more often than not. you can have experience, good bait, great weather, ect.....and still get skunked.

cats bite when they want to, there doesnt seem to be rhyme or reason sometimes. keep a log of the conditions and where you were, the moon phase and all that stuff. it may help you find what works best MOST of the time, but i promise, it wont work all the time.

something that gets missed a lot is making sure you do not contaminate the bait with a un-natural scent. make sure you dont have gas, aftershave, lotion, skeeter spray or anything like that on your hands when you handle bait. cats smell better than almost anything else in the water. channel cats have scent glands all along there bodies. flats are almost as sensitive. sometimes i wear latex gloves when i handle bait...overkill??.....maybe. but i am in the better safe than sorry crowd.

i also test all my leaders(make them up in batches ahead of time) with a 30lb dumbbell. i have had a few knots break before and lost good fish, but for over 2 years now, that has'nt happened. i use the palomar knot ONLY, improved clinch will not hold 100% line strength. i use only premium fishing line, ugly stick rods, garcia reels and gamakatsu 8/0 octopus circle hooks. the fish of a lifetime only comes once. gotta be ready cause there will not be a time out. it took a lot of experimenting and a lot of broken leader/line before i learned how to really tie knots and leaders, i advise you to test them all. you will be amazed how a knot that looks great will sometimes fail when real pressure is applied. test it ahead of time and be sure of you tackle.

dont be afraid to loose tackle, if you fish for flats, you will loose line, weights and hooks. if you dont fish where they live, you wont catch 'em.

be quiet when fishing for big flats, they didnt get big by being stupid. dropping stuff in the boat, talking loud, radio blaring and such will spook big fish. also dont shine your spotlight on the water unless absolutely needed. this is more like hunting whitetails than fishing as far as this stuff goes.

above all, relax. i know it is easy to take it way serious, but just have fun. take it serious as far as do your best, but dont make it like work(thats why i dont golf anymore, its not fun cause i try too hard).

get out there, catch some and learn.:)

8. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Greg

Paul said it "BE PATIENT" and experiment.
    what works today may not work tomorrow...

Record or remember your results for future trips:thumbsup:

GOOD LUCK AND TIGHT LINES!!!!!

9. gkhuntfish

gkhuntfish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys for all your imput. I am going camping camp 4 the weekend above kinston somewhere so maybe i can have a good report here sun. night,

I always thought that catfishing would be so easy compared to bass fishing..................... I think i have been mislead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

GREG

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Are you using FRESH shad or that frozen stuff?

11. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Greg, Welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the net! And use fresh if you can.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The neuse is pretty much hit or miss, there are nights when I hardly get to sit down in the boat. Then there are times when I catch maybe one fish or even none. Just keep trying different spots and sooner or later you will hook into a nice one. I am also going to the neuse this weekend, probably somewhere between kinston and new bern so hopefully they are biting, if they arent I guess it will be just a trip for the shad fishing, which is also a great time. I probably fished the neuse 3-4 times in a row when I first got my boat and got skunked, but I kept reading on the BOC and learning new things. After about 2-3 months on the BOC I had a 35# flat and 1 blue over 50# and 3-4 over 40#'s. Just keep trying, and try to use really heavy tackle and good knots. Good luck

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Are you in a boat or fishing from shore?

Personally, I don't catch a lot of fish in water over 20 feet, but I am not fishing the rivers you are on. I am lake fisherman and that is entirely different.

The large flats that have a deep drop-off work well for me, but I fish the edges and not the deep water.

If you are in a boat mix it up some. If you are not getting a bite in the deeper waters then pull up and anchor near some shallow water and try that. Don't get hooked into one spot too long no matter what you have caught there in the past.

14. gkhuntfish

gkhuntfish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have used fresh shad and frozen fresh both and am hoping to get some live bait this weekend, maybe some bream have woke up with the warmer water. As far as depth goes for those of you who are not familiar with the neuse it is a shallow river 10-15 ft holes max where I fish this time of the year, even less in the summer! But as all of you have said i will keep tryin different depths this weekend and am bound to cross over a few.

Greg

15. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Try fresh caught shad and cut the tail off at the anal fin.....put your hook through the eyes. This will put a blood and scent trail in the moving water and leave more of your hook exposed. Position yourself above the holes and anchor... or drift your bait through the holes. Not sure if your river has Skipjacks, if it does you may want to try them also. Believe it or not the head with part of the gut pocket produces best for me...Best of luck out there!:)

16. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The last two times I went shad fishing there on the neuse I caught some crappie, so I am sure the bream are biting also. I wanted to go tomorrow and fish but it looks like its going to rain all day. So far the biggest cats I have caught on the neuse have been between 5-10 feet of water. Also try the mouths of feeder creeks, they produce very well on this river. I havent caught a big fish yet out of a hole. This river is very different it seems than most bigger rivers, due to the fact that its not that deep anywhere unless you are down by new bern, I have seen one hole there around 33 feet or so but never had a bite. The stretch I fish, the deepest hole is about 14 feet. I havent fished it though since I never have luck in the holes. Good luck this weekend and let us know how you do.

17. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    GIVE BLUE GILL A TRY IF YOUR STATES REGS. ALLOW IT:cool:

18. Carolina Reb

Carolina Reb New Member

State:
    Willow Springs
    Welcome Greg...Have you tried any eels?

19. CATCPA

CATCPA New Member

State:
    NC
    I have heard that

20. CATCPA

CATCPA New Member

State:
    NC
    I have heard that the fishing has been slow around that area. Give it time. Fresh bait is key. We use cut eel on the Cape Fear. Try some eel.