Newbie in Erie seeks advice

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by tallbump, Jun 27, 2007.

1. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hi, I am new to ths Forum, and I haven't fished in about 15 years up until last week.
    In Erie, on the Peninsula, I found an inland pond with some good (to me) size Catfish that I am determined to catch.
    I have had no luck yet however.
    I guess at this point I need to know what is the best bait and techinques.
    I tried hot dogs ( I have seen that many times on various web sites) worms, and doughballs with no success.:sad2:
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Can't help you out but wanted to say...
    Welcome to the BOC!!! :big_smile:

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Brian.

4. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the welcome. :0a31:

5. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to BOC. from Arkansas.:big_smile:

6. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wow, you guys sure know how to make a guy feel welcome!!
    Another question, are there any "rules" I need to be aware of.
    I am a 2 yr member of another forum, totally unrelated to fishing, but I fully understand rules and guidelines and want to be a courteous and productive member of this forum. Any threads I should start reading to give me an overview of how things work around here?
    Thanks again.

7. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    WELCOME TO THE B.O.C. BRIAN:001:

8. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    welcome brian......i lived on lake erie almost my whole life and fish for almost everything i could find to catch there....but i found that the best bait is common bait that they are use to.....you can try cuttin it or alive..you can try c.liver and those ugly green wprms they got these days whice work great at sandusky bay.....its been about 2 years sense i seen the shores of lake erie so im not sure what they got for bait now so good luck

9. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    WELCOME TO B.O.C

10. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Welcome to the BOC Brian! I'm in western PA, but haven't been to Erie yet. I hope to make a trip that way at least once this summer. I've heard the fishing is great up there.

Here is a link to the BOC FAQ. That should give you an outline of the rules. There are also descriptions of many of the subforums on the main page and in the main sections. That will help you learn where topics go and where to look for something. And of course there's plenty of information in our Member library.

There's a ton of information on here, but don't let it overwhelm you. We're all still learning new things every day. Be warned, though....you can get addicted to the site very quickly. :smile2:

11. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks, I'll check that out.
    Believe, I understand the addiction thing.
    Between my current addiction to my other forum, and my wife being a moderator on several sub-forums on a Parenting board, one of us is always on the computer.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian Welcome to the BOC.:smile2:

13. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hi Brian welcome to the BOC great site here. You live in Erie wow there is alot of good fishing there walleye bass steelhead. Im sure there is some catfish up there. IF you are targeting little channels try some chicken livers they seem to work pretty well or catch some bluegills out of the pond you fish try them live cut see what they like the best.

14. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Welcome to BOC Brian I think you'll like it here!!!!!!

15. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    :0a25:Welcome to the BOC. Hey if you are trying to catch channels in a pond You might have luck trying live or dead minnows fished on the bottom or under a bobber. Also go to the bait store and see if they sell stinkbaits,they are great for channel cats.:0a26:

16. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the tips all. Once I figure out how to catch them, then I'll learn how to cook them. I fell in love with Catfish at an All you can eat place down in Mississippi. :big_smile:
    Plus, I remember catching a few when I was young, and have fond memories. In fact, I think the first fish I ever caught was a cat.

17. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Nice rod :006: in your avatar pic. :smile2:

18. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC!!!:cool2:

19. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    :embarassed:
    Thanks, it's Disney Princess. Actually my 3 yr old lost interest and she still had some worm left on her hook and I couldn't let it go to waste.