Newbie in Central Kansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catmanjack, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Hi all. I have been reading this forum for about 6 months now and decided to join. I live about 4 miles from French Creek on Marion Reservoir and have fished Marion primarily. I have 3 kids 3 years to 9 years which has really limited my fishing time but am picking up the pole again. My question for y'all ... I have never fished for Winter Flatheads in Kansas and given that the activity on this forum died after October makes me think there is a good reason for not going out..... Is there a good strategy for Flathead fishing in Kansas during the cold dark months?

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Welcome to the brotherhood. I am at Wamego and fish for flats all summer. this time of yr I have never had any luck catching Flatheads .Channels and Blues can be caught. Here the flats will start some time in may .

3. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Welcome to the Brotherhood CatmanJack! Good to see new members joining in on the Catfishing fun!! :cool:

4. I often stay at one of the little motels in Wamego going to K-State games. You have a neat little town. Every time I drive over the bridge and see the KS river I always get that I wish I was fishing feeling. Do you do most of your fishing on the River there?

LilRyeJoe: thanks for the green dot. Not sure what all that is about but I think it's probably all good!!

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Let me know when you are in Wamego . We could meet for coffee. I fish the river and both lakes.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Todd,

Welcome to the BOC!!! I'm from Oklahoma, the Tulsa area. Glad you are here, any questions, just ask and we will be happy to answer you to the best of our ability.

The green dot, well, see for yourself HERE.

7. tackleman

tackleman New Member

State:
    Olathe. Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC Todd. Hows the catfishing at Marion? I went buy there in November for the first time looks like a nice lake.

8. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    Welcome Catmanjack to the BOC. I fish for flats all summer on the Missouri River but I lay the pole down when the fish become inactive. Like Dale said, in May the flat fishing will pick up. Good luck

9. Marion Reservoir is a pretty typical Kansas plaines reservoir. It is pretty shallow but you can fish the flats to 20 feet with the channel running from 25 to 35 feet. It goes through cyclical spurts with many species. Crappie and Walley seem to be at a lull but Wipers (thanks to some aggressive stocking) are plentiful. The Channel cats seem to always be strong and there is the occasional blue to tickle your line. I have never really fished the lake for Flatheads or the river upstream. I mainly fish the outlet below the dam wich offers occasional lunkers. I guess that is why I joined this forum. I would like to learn how to locate and fish the flatheads in the lake and river. I also would like to learn more about fishing on other Kansas waters.

10. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    Welcome aboard Catmanjack. You will learn tons here. I never catch any flatheads during the winter unless the local lake is letting water out. Dafin, Good to see a Northeastern Kansas around. I went to school North of Wamego and really miss that area. The joys of small town living are hard to find in the city but the convenience of the city is hard to find in the small towns. Junods liquor can't compete with Quiktrip. I'm sure that helped out a bit as to the location (not that it's a quiz or anything).

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have fished both the state lake and the city lake in Marion. There is an old road at the Big lake that is lined by trees. I have done real well with the cats in there. I even landed a 27" on a deep diving crank bait. The rivers below the dams are also good. Fish around the snags and any pits you find. Stay up stream and let you bait roll into the hole. Best of luck and remember if you take your kids fishing you wont have fish for them later.

12. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC CatmanJack

13. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey CatmanJack. Last summer one of them ugly Fed Ex drivers showed me some nice pictures of some flatheads that come out Marion lake. One was suppost to have went at 60 lbs. But I didnt belive a word he said.

14. I can't say I have heard about 60 pounders but I have seen a 52 pound flat come out below the dam in the spillway. I would say that there is a 60 pounder down there and in the lake but catching them would be a summer's work if you know what I mean. I have a freind who fishes the spillway 4 days a week and he has not pulled on up over 55 pounds in the 5 years he has fished exclusively for Flats. If you decide to test the hypothesis and prove it right please let us all know.

15. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    All one has to do is look at any driver's license and know that most people lie about how much things weight. lol

16. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC CatmanJack. From the sounds of it, it sounds like you got a nice lake there.

Dave

17. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC.

18. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    If I remember right you are the one who said his wifes grand paw used to fish the woodson county lake if you are I`d still like to know his name I mite know him I used to fish it a lot.

19. johnyjo

johnyjo New Member

State:
    kansas
    newbie here as well catch some bigguns

20. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Welcome to the BOC CatFishJack