Newbie First Post

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by f155mph, Aug 5, 2009.

1. f155mph

f155mph New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am hooked!!! So I just started fishing earlier this summer. I caught a bunch of different kinds of fish, but mostly crappies. Anyway couple weeks ago I caught my first big catfish for me (A really fat 24" channel).

There is so much good info on this forum, it is awesome. I do have a question...is there a newbie section or a good place to go to get some info on the basic of catfishing?

For example: what a good setup for catfishing rig? (hook type, weight, kat bobber/no bobber, bait selection, area to fish, etc. etc etc)

Thanks!

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    First were glad to have ya with us on the BOC. Second we dont have a new member section but check the member library.. and your state fishing forum. You will surely get what you need. If ya need anything else be sure and post a visitor msg on my profile. AJ

3. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Big pole, big line, big hook, big bait = BIG FISH...Welcome to the BOC:wink:

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Joe!:0a25:. The whole sites full of good cattin information.Newbie or oldbie,makes no difference.Your gonna have to narrow what you wanna fish for for tackle recommendations.Starting out for general purposes,any decent MH rod of 7ft or so ,and a spinning or casting reel that holds a good amount of 20# mono or braid if you wanna go that way should get you going.Hooks and sinkers will depend upon what kind of cats you want to go after.Check through the different sections,there,s a ton of good info already on here.Don,t be afraid to ask if you run into any problems.Good luck and good fishing brother.:wink:

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    JOE also go to quick links at top of homepage, an check out the FAQ section there, an as AJ stated; check out the members library section .

Also welcome to the BOC its a great site for info, an also great people to boot :wink:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  6. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC Joe!

8. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Welcome to the Boc :wink:. Give you the low down on wut i DO everyone is differnt, This is for the missouri river i use two poles im cheap lol. a 10foot glowstick and a 7'6 ready2fish spinner 30# mono 3way barrel swivels, 8oz bank sinkers and 8/0 octopus circle hooks. Useing the 10footer on a bass boat makes things intresting lol. I usally have the bait danglin in my fishing partner's face <320hotrod>when im casting it. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: HEY BRIAN HOWS THAT CARP SMELL !!!! :roll_eyes:

p.s You have any questions <even if you think thier stupid> ask them. Everyone is more than happy to help out here love this site learnd so much in the past 4 months.

9. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC!

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Joe from Fresno California

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks like everybody's got your questions covered..Just wanted to welcome you to the BOC..You came to the right place to learn how to catch catfish and make some of the best buds..I promise you won't be disappointed..

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have !!! :cool2:

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Joe.

14. f155mph

f155mph New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thank you all for the WARM welcome! Someone mention gears, well since I caught that semi-big cat on my bass rod. I got myself an Ugly Stik Catfish and an Abu 6600 C4 on PowerPro 65lbs lines.

I know the line is total overkill, but that just how I do things:big_smile:.

15. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. Good luck.

16. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joe Welcome to the BOC. from So. Illinois. Just ask questions and you will get great answers on this forum. As stated, check the members library when you get time.

18. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats a perfect rig for cattin..

19. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Jjoe, that does sound like a winning catfissin rig, don't forget to upgrade you swivles to a higher rated lb. test rating. Welcome to the BOC! Look foward to reading more of your upcomming post!

20. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC and good luck with those cats. There is all kinds of info on this site to help you out.