Newbie Cat tips

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    This is the first full year i have devoted to catfishing. Until i found the B.O.C i learned through trial and error. Now i have been scouring the B.O.C and have found countless tips. Thanks a ton. My question is what do you think some of the most important tips for new catfisherman are?

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Don't give up, and don't be affraid to try new things. Carry more than one type of bait. Always check your line for frays.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Use good equiptment, fresh bait, and a good location. Finding the best locations is the hardest, but with the info youve learned its just a matter of putting the time in to find them in your area.
    Best of luck this year!!!!

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lots of really good info on here, take mental notes!

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    when starting out don't stay in one place for two long. Remeber You find the fish, they don't find you!

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Use live bait, and try new ideas whenever u can!

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome Brother. A lot of good advice. I would add that fishing with other BOC members wuld help you too. Attend gatherings. Talk to the local anglers in your area. Brian (Centralcalcat) is moving to your state in Feb. Great guy!!!! Our (California) loss, Your (Indiana) gain. Hook up with him. He's good people.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Best advice I can give, Don't give up. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

9. Lil Grinder 20

Lil Grinder 20 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    never give up & stay at it ...go often. Use many methods trial & error....

soon it will pay off!!!!!

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    not just for catfishing but fishing in general... Practice casting off the water so you don't have to deal with tangles and missing fish and all that BS on the water when your fishing (now it doesn't keep that from happening all the time but it helps limit it). this is for all new reels and even if you get a new rod cause it'll act differently then another...

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Take different baits, fish structure, try new places and keep moving. Ive seen so many people sit for hours in one place and not catch a thing. Lots of other good advice here too.

12. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Like the other guys have already said, be patient and persistant. If one spot is unproductive try another. If you're bait isn't getting bites switch it up. And use good tackle.

13. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Patience, Patience, Patience...I'd say its the most important necessitity of catfishing!

14. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I have to agree with all the above, patience being one of the best and hardest!. Spend some time figuring out the structure and cover in your body of water. I don't mean the obvious stuff like points, channels and trees sticking out of the water. I'm talking about a small rock pile located on the downward slope of a submerged creek channel next to a submerged stump....Learn everything you can about the lake, river or whatever you are fishing. When you learn it you will have a good idea of where the fish will be in whatever conditions you are in. Plus, you will gain confidence and continue to fish for the rest of your life.

Brian MArtin

15. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    This is my first full year too. I have found this site to be extremly helpful. Also, if you see someone fishing for cats around you ask them for some tips. Most people that i've encountered are more than willing to share SOME information. Just don't get too nosey and piss them off!! Getting a pound of cured liver thrown on you isn't a great experience, just trust me on that one!!

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Remember that you don't have to spend alot of money to fish, you don't have to have the most expensive gear to catch a big cat. Use as many baits as possible till you find what works and move often. Carry a backup pole, as in an extra one to lure fish to pass time and you never know what else you might catch. Many a time I have reeled in a bass or crappie while waiting for a cat to bite.

17. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Ledges, Slack water,Holes,Water discharges,and mouths of feeder creeks are all great placesto start!

Talk to others who regularly fish the same waters you do,I'll give anything a try once or twice and a few thibngs i been told i laffed at,but they worked and still use em today!