Newbie Advise for tournaments

Discussion in 'TOURNAMENT TALK' started by 187um, Mar 8, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    any advise for a new comer just got a boat with electronics thought i would throw my hat in the tournament ring problem is i hear its expensive and i just flat out dont know a thing about it. so any advise you all can give will be greatly appreciated. like costs,hardships, well anything thanks.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    BE VERY HUMBLE!! Especially in that part of the country. There are many very good catfishermen up there.

Be realistic. Any person can win any event, but local guys will always have an advantage. If you are unfamilar with the fishing location it is going to be tough. Find yourself some navigation maps (corps of eng) and get on Google earth and learn the layout of the water.

ESTABLISH LIMITS! Decide ahead of time what your limits are going to be. That way you can concentrate on fishing and not whether or not you can make it "one mile further". You will be able to create a pretty good game plan off of these maps.

Be prepared. Rods/Reels should be ready to go with fresh line/new tackle. Can't catch fish if your line is breaking or your hook is dull. Have plenty of fresh bait!!!! also have 5 different types of bait. They will be biting on something. (cut shad, skipjack, bluegill, live bait, shrimp, dip, nightcrawlers) or anything else that works for you!

Tournaments are about having fun and socializing with the other people. Be open minded and don't stress yourself out. Have fun and learn from your experience. Someone will tell you something of value; especially after the event is over. Take time to listen and talk, concentrate on the people who placed high in the event, sounds cheesy, but they must have done something right!:wink:

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Shane gave you some great advice. Spot on.

Just like he said, good tournament preparation starts at home on your computer, and its FREE.

Like he said, study lake/river maps and establish your boundaries. Depending on if the tourney allows trailering, or if its launch site only will determine how far you can go. Some of the maps available will show you depth contours, structure, etc. Utilize those new electronics, and find those areas that look like they would hold fish.

Utilize the internet for 'bite information'. The BOC is a great resource for learning about a new venue, and how the recent bite has been. If your crafty, you can learn the patterns the fish have been on, for example shallow, deep, the baits they are hitting, etc, all right from the comfort of your easy chair. This can be invaluable. Now take those fishing reports off of the BOC, and find those patterns on your topo maps.

Go to the tournament venue a couple of days early if possible. You can utilize this time to explore, find fresh bait, and get to know other tournament anglers in a relaxed setting. Many of them will share the 'patterns' that are working, and the rigging they are using thats giving the best results.

Speaking with other anglers, and getting to know them has been my best source of information. Like Shane said, be humble and greatfull for any information that is given. Remember those that have helped you out along the way, and dont be afraid to reciprocate in the future when the situation warrants it.

During the weigh in ceremony is an outstanding time to learn what was working, and how folks came about there fish. Take what you learn and store it in the memory banks for the next year at that venue.

Most importantly, have fun. Know that the learning curve will be steep, and that new venues can be very intimidating. Try not to get frustrated, have fun with the experience and learn all you can. There are several series out there to fish, and some of the absolute best catfish anglers in the country are at many of them. Anytime these guys are in the 'chatty' mode, I close my mouth and open my ears. They are giving you honest advice. What you do with that advice might just determine how you place in the future.

Tournament fishing is a blast. Even if you leave the water with no fish to weigh, if you played your day right you left the water a better fisherman! :wink: