newbee here in SC, need info please

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by kanko44, Feb 13, 2009.

1. kanko44

kanko44 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hi everyone, great site here! I just bought a new Tracker Boat, and want to learn all about fishing for Catfish in the Waccamaw river. Couple of quick questions I am asking,

From reading this site, seems ok to fish this time of year (feb, march), is that true for catfish in the Waccamaw river?

What is the best bait, and can you get it from local bait stores in the winter?

We are so excited with our new boat, and cannot wait to hit the water. Took it out last Sunday for the first time up the river and looks like it will be fun to fish. We put in at the local Conway landing, and headed North for a bit. Anyone fished this area, any luck? Are the best bet some of the coves off the river, or in the deep water?

The weather this weekend is going to cool down, but willing to hit the river for a few hours if the fishing is good here.

Any advice, or any "mentors" out there will be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Mike

2. catfever

catfever New Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    Mike, Jay at Fisherman Headquarters had some shad last week, he will have eels in the next few days.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    not familar with your area, Congrats on the new boat. Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

4. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    I have fish the waccamaw a long time back some odd twenty five years ago but i used cut herring. Fish the shallow water at night an the deep water in the day time.:cool2:

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mike, generally speaking, the deep water is good this time of the year, but the catfish will also be found shallow. The river water temps are fairly consistent from bottom to surface, so cover and food are the main factors that determine where they will be at any given time. During a tournament recently on the Waccamaw I found fish in 16-18' of water where there were submerged stumps and logs on a shoal, and I also caught some in 25'+ that were near breaks in the heavy current. Get out there with some fresh cut bait; shad, herring, mullet, bream, etc. Right now I would try to go with fresh shad and herring if you can find it locally. Eels also work good at times. If you can't get the fresh bait, just get yourself a container of night crawlers and you will still catch fish, usually a little smaller in size, but lots of fun.

6. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    Welcome to the BOC. You will learn a ton of stuff from these guys. They always offer great advice!

Congrats on your new boat. Have fun and be safe out there.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Mike.

8. kanko44

kanko44 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the great replies and info. I plan on heading out tomorrow for a few hours to see what we can catch, unless it rains.

I will try to find some bait from one of the local bait shops, I am sure I can find something!

Thanks again, and if anyone is near Myrtle Beach, let me know! Always looking for fishing buddies!

Mike