Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live around Bartlesville, Ok -- mostly fish Copan Lake using a 16' tracker V-hull. Im fairly new to catfishin -- I've been using stink bait, but not having much luck at all. Heard from a fella on another site that I need ta get hooked up with cut bait ifn I want ta catch some fine blues & channel cats. Can anyone please tell me the best methods of how to catch a good bucket of baitfish and to to rig up for using this type of fishing. Ive heard of using slip bobbers to drifting with balloons. Trouble is I don't know how to rig for them -- any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated . . :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
i am not a pro or even near it LOL . but after many years of fishing for cats i use many diffrent rigs and baits .understanding a cat fish's habbits can help you learn / catch more.
that being said alwasys remember that cats feed mostly at nite or the few minutes befor the sun sets this is the prime time .so if your out there during the day and no bites then try at nite. also another good time is butt crack of dawn untill 8am ish tho i am never out that late any more. things to remeber tho is cats move in to the shallow waters to feed at nite.so if your fishing a deep hole during the day , move the bait to a shallower spot at nite. more stuff to remember once a cat fish get up to 5 lbs or so or reach a certin sized they stop eating store bought baits and start eating only fish as they grow and move up the food chain. that being said if you want eater sized fish then use livers /dip baits/ dough baits hot dogs shrip the sky is the limit, but if your looking for the BIG BOYS then use live bream, shad, shinners, skip jack ,mullet any bait fish you can catch in the general area. live blue gills 2-3 inch range would be my first choice. cast netting bream tho is not leagal here tho so i catch them with a tiny hook and bread moistened and mashed on to my tiny hook, a few peices of bread tossed in the area will often chum the bream in. the big bait fish i cut in half and hook threw the chin/out threw the nose. as for rigs i use 2 choices 1 the carolina i think .... tie a hook to a 18inch peice of your fav. leader then tie the other end to a swivel then add a plastic bead then your sinker ,then tie your line comming off the rod to you free end of the swivel if done rite ... main line with a sinker and a bead connected to a swivel then your leader <---- hopefully stronger then your main line. then hook and bait. if this produces no acton .. i go to a 3 way swivel this is a pain in the butt , but it often lands me the most fish,
3way rig is set up like this. tie your reels line to the upper most pointing eyeof the 3 way swiv. then cut a 16-20 inch line and tie to the straigh down pointing eye of the swiv. then tie a snap swivel to the other end of that line this will let you change sinkers in no time due to diffrent current strengths and rods max sinker weight . then cut a 6-8 inch peice of some heavy line ya got and tie to the open swivle this one should be pointing left or rite , to one side or the other. your hook is a key player too if your going big bait then a 5-8 /o circle hook might be your friend rember not to set the circle hooks as you would a j hook just reel em in NO jerk neened to set circle hooks and no more gut hooks. now you just need to find a good spot to cast to .. if i am fishing from shore i walk the area and look for a current break <--- any where there is flowing water that suddenly stops or slows down is a current break this is an ambush point or eddys calm patches of water along the edge of the fast water or log jams any cover you can imagin more then likely will hold a fish some time in life. bridge pylons or dock legs just pay close attention in durastic changes in the water and get that bait to those areas
and change your bait every hour i do every 30 minutes if i have enough bait. also a 2-3 inch pvc pipe caped on both ends and about 12-16 inches long with tiny holes drilled in it and a rope attached to it can me used for chum ... this helps me use old frozen baits up that get to soft to hook. give em a lil chop chop and stuff the chum pipe with any bait that doesn't make the prime bait for your hook .... tail peices and old baits no free meals man use it to chum em in , just be sure to chec your state laws and see if its leagel o chum ...... pm me if you need any help hope this sheds some light on things for you. your rod/reel is a very important factor also bait runners or bait casters are a good choice so the fish can run with the bait with out a sudden stop at the end of the line and helps keep your rod from being yanked in to the water...... gl budd and welcome again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for getting back with -- was out doing the weekly grass cutting chore :(
Wow -- what a wealth of information you are -- guys like you that have been at this for years have probably forgotten more than I can put into practice. Looks like you and Momma really enjoy getting out on the water. I will try and remember what you have suggested and hopefully start catching those nice big blues & channels. By all means if you or someone else happens to know of other really good methods -- PLEASE dont keep it to yourself . . . Thanks again my friend

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
i aint a pro either but ill give ya my thoughts. i normally fish rivers so when fishing the river it is a matter of what fish your gonna be fishing for. flathead- normally i will fish structure or the tips of wings ***** or even sandbars. just depends. bait for flat head i like to use live bait mainly bluegills but goldfish will work. there is so many diff. set ups. to use that are out there its mainly a try it and see if it suits you kinda thing. i fish with a sinker slide myself. i also use no rolls attached directly to my line.. first ya want the weight then the bead then the swivel than the leader. one reason i like the sinker slide is that the sinker will un-snap from it and you dont have all that wieght hangn on your rod in transport. for blue cats- i normally use cut bait. either cut shad or shad guts. cut gills work as well. blues can vary in hidn spots. they may be in a drop off or in a hole. or even in a current break where the water breaks of a dam. (current seams) like stated above a 3 way rig works well. i myself dont fish with a float. i normally bottom fish. fish shallow at night and deeper in the day. look for structure. if fishing channel cats look more into the back waters or more slack water. they also eat cut bait as well as the shrimp and livers. good luck on your ventures and hopefully you will have some fond memories.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Man -- Thanks for taking the time to jump-in with your suggestions :)
I'm hearing the terms and language you guys use and am trying to sort it all out. I have read the first great thread that M Slayton sent me at least five or six times and of course I will do the same with yours hopefully it will sink-in eventually. The biggest obstacle I'm facing is the rigging terminology you guys use. Apparently I need to find out all I can about the myriad of different ways of rigging to suit the conditions and type of fish I'm targeting. I cant tell you and others how much I appreciate your sharing what you have learned with me. Thanks again there Isaiah . . .

·
Registered
718 Posts
after seeing how many friendly people we have in our brotherhood i find that sharing information with one another can help sort out the do's and don't of catfishing and it hurts no one to help out a fellow brother . you can add me if you like and feel free to ask questions and if you got any rig questions post em and i or other member will be glab to help ya sort stuff out.

p.s. after fishing with momma fer years one tip i'll pass on to evey one, when fishing with momma or the kids for that matter , i let them do the catching and i do the baiting and watching rods and this is just my oppinion . doing this will make it more enjoyable for ma and the kids and it will not take them long to start offering you a fish er 2 LOL its all fun and gl bud

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Randy Welcome to the USCA. You are receiving some good info. Don't try to do it all at once, keep it simple. When you get time check out the members library for additional info on rigging, equipment, baits etc. One type of bait that you can purchase is shrimp. Purchase at your grocery store and place in a zip lock bag with garlic for a few days and go catch lots of fish.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
after seeing how many friendly people we have in our brotherhood i find that sharing information with one another can help sort out the do's and don't of catfishing and it hurts no one to help out a fellow brother . you can add me if you like and feel free to ask questions and if you got any rig questions post em and i or other member will be glab to help ya sort stuff out.

p.s. after fishing with momma fer years one tip i'll pass on to evey one, when fishing with momma or the kids for that matter , i let them do the catching and i do the baiting and watching rods and this is just my oppinion . doing this will make it more enjoyable for ma and the kids and it will not take them long to start offering you a fish er 2 LOL its all fun and gl bud
very well stated. good luck on ur trip. give us a report! stay safe.

·
Registered
140 Posts
They have been lots of good info posted here. Every one fishes different and catches fish. I go out after noon, take a bucket of cattle cubes, 20% protein, find a good sized brush pile (with fish finder) in 14 to 18 ft of water, anchor off to the side of it and throw a couple coffee can of cubes out, bait up with JC punch bait, shad flavor, rigged with a 2 oz. egg sinker, small bead, swivel, 18" line tied to a no. 4 or 6 treble hook, fish straight down, and catch all the eating size channel cats I want. If I start at 2:00 pm I can have my limit of 15 caught by 6:00 pm I have caught up to 11 lb channels this way, most of them will be in the 1 to 3 lb range. The size I really like to eat. I'm sure all lakes are different but thats the way it works here at Ft Cobb lake. (a 4000 acre lake). I like day fishing, don't have to fight the insects off all the time. The bite stops at dark. The cats move to more shallow water to feed. Just my two cents!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Michael & Forrest...Thank you for jumpin-in :) Dang, with all the good suggestions and methodology that I'm getting here -- I cant possibly fail :)
It's too bad we all live so far off from each other -- I'd bet credits to navy beans we'd enjoy anchored on a lake somewhere fishin and swappin tales . . . Thanks to all for helpin out the green guy - k?
By the way -- I noticed that most of you are able to make note that you either "Like" a reply or your able to "Thank" someone for a reply -- would it possible for ya to share with me just how you do that?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Thank you for getting back with -- was out doing the weekly grass cutting chore :(
Wow -- what a wealth of information you are -- guys like you that have been at this for years have probably forgotten more than I can put into practice. Looks like you and Momma really enjoy getting out on the water. I will try and remember what you have suggested and hopefully start catching those nice big blues & channels. By all means if you or someone else happens to know of other really good methods -- PLEASE dont keep it to yourself . . . Thanks again my friend
You have reached the holy grail of catfishing info...stay tuned and by all means..keep asking questions, you will get the info you seek! It may take trial and error but you WILL find what works for you...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome aboard Randy, if you get down Grand Lake way give me a shout, I'll go fishing with you. I never catch much but I have a good time anyway.

The best thing I did to learn how to Catfish was hook up one day with Andrew aka Grandfisher. This kid taught me more than I could ever get on my own, he needs to give up his real job and become a guide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fish at copan all the time. I have most fun tightlining down below the dam but right now with them letting water out the gar are taking most of my bait. I also hear they are biting down at Indicott ( I think thats how you spell it). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
723 Posts
if you fish copan or hulah, i've got a good friend and uncle who experts on both lakes, joe kerr, and bill king, ill point them out for ya, however i stay over on Grand and do my thing, look me up if you get down here sure to show a good time, but ill be on lake norman , north carolina for another month, good luck and welcome in bro

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whan I first joined the BOC I had hopes of maybe/eventually finding a true catfisherman that might be willing to share enough information with me to get me started -- never did I imagine the wealth of information that has been handed to me . . .
Steve, Roland, Trey, Matt & Winston...Thank you so much for adding your thoughts & suggestions to the ongoing mixed bag of help I so (apparently) desperately need to move to a higher class of fishing that I'm used to -- Thanks to all -- You're a great group :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hello Michael & Forrest...Thank you for jumpin-in :) Dang, with all the good suggestions and methodology that I'm getting here -- I cant possibly fail :)
It's too bad we all live so far off from each other -- I'd bet credits to navy beans we'd enjoy anchored on a lake somewhere fishin and swappin tales . . . Thanks to all for helpin out the green guy - k?
By the way -- I noticed that most of you are able to make note that you either "Like" a reply or your able to "Thank" someone for a reply -- would it possible for ya to share with me just how you do that?
below a post like the one im makeing now to the left is a thing that says thanks or blog i believe. hit the thanks and it gives the thanks. and their is also a star that is for givign reps. to a person for liking there post or a thing u can report the post. im not sure but i think u have to give ten posts before u can thank someone for what they say.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Randy,
Maybe these diagrams will help ...W
good pics but in the second pic where there is a sinker slide make sure not to tie ur leader off the weight to long. it can cause the weight leader and the hook leader to twist up. ill take pics of some of my rigs and show ya how i tie my no rolls and how i tie my sinker slides. the second pic is pretty much right but if the leader off the weight is to long it will twist around the hook leader.

·
Registered
140 Posts
below a post like the one im makeing now to the left is a thing that says thanks or blog i believe. hit the thanks and it gives the thanks. and their is also a star that is for givign reps. to a person for liking there post or a thing u can report the post. im not sure but i think u have to give ten posts before u can thank someone for what they say.
Unless it's changed in the past few months, you must have 10 post before you can use the thanks or other things on the forum.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.