Newbe in the Cedar Rapids area

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by carpdoctor, Aug 30, 2007.

1. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My informed me a few days ago that she would like to do a little catfishing, so the process of looking around on the web I found this great place. The only catfishing I have done since I moved to Iowa has been ditty pole fishing. The wife wants to catch them the ol fashioned way. So, where is a good place to start? I asked about the Wapsi by Central City and Pleasant creek in the river\lake post. Besides I need to have 10 posts before I get to look at all the pics on the page. So why not ask in all three places.

Thanks

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Welcome Chris to the BOC. If It was Me I would give the Cedar River a Try First some Nice Channel cat to be had outa there.Good Luck.J.D.:wink:

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Chris, glad you could join us.

4. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    welcom to the boc

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris Welcome to the BOC.Be sure and check out the BOC library. Lots of good fishing info.:0a25::0a25::0a17:

6. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC Chris, I am fairly new to this site too, and have learned a lot from these people.

You have some great fishing up there in that area. The Cedar River has some great places to fish especially if you have a boat to get around and away from everyone else. One bad thing about being near the cities is so many others to compete with. The Iowa River has some good water as well. There has been many nice cats taken from below the spillway at Coralville lake, (I have fished this area myself, never caught the monsters but some nice ones just the same) as well as Burlington St, in Iowa City. We have pulled some nice cats out of the river south of Iowa City. As well as North of the damn in the Amana area and Tama County. If you like lake fishing, Coralville like is practically out your back door, and I would make a visit to Lake Mc Bride, I have heard there are some nice bass and crappie in that lake, but haven't heard much about Cats. Good luck and let us know how it all goes for you.