New zebco 808 fishing reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by countrycat15, May 22, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys,my brother just gave me a new zebco808 fishing reel and i am going to use it on one of my heavey catfish rods.my quistion is will it hold fish in the 25-50 pound range also does any body on here have one of these reels and if u do please tell me how big of a fish yall have cought on it.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The biggest that I ever caught on one was a Black Tip shark about 4 feet.I was in a boat where I could chase it and was over a huge shallow flat with 2 to 4 feet of water the whole time.This was ideal conditions for me and bad for the shark.The reels normally carry about 90 yards of regular 20 pound mono.With the smaller diameters of todays mono.,you should be able to get more.When I recently questioned Zebco about using braid,Zebco,s reply was that it would eventually damage the head.I have a 808 and a 888 that are now about 25+ years old.I used them in fresh and salt water.Always rinsed well after saltwater use before storing.Have used them many times for 1 to 2 weeks at the time with out rinse when vacationing and camping on saltwater islands.Clean,lube and once each,re glue the rubber ring that pushes the head forward to cast,is all that I have ever done to them.Both work fine today though faded by sun and weather.In my opinion,it is the draft horse or ox of the spin casters.I have never had to discard or replace one.I hope that yours serves you as well as mine has.I bought a SW 888 about 18 months ago.I put it on a Berkley REFLEX RFC802MH*8 ft.Medium Heavy Casting*Lure 1-4*Trilene 10-25 rod.Zebco claimed it is improved for salt water use.I don;t see how they can be any better than they were.I hope you will be as happy with yours as I have been with mine.peewee-williams

3. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    great post man,i am going fishin with mine friday i will let u know how i do.

4. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Looking forward to your report on the reel and trip.This is how we all learn.Thanks for sharing.peewee-williams

5. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hey kenny i will tell you an 808 is one hell of a fishin reel

6. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use the 808's and 888's. Biggest fish on an 808 is a 62 pound flathead. Reel was spooled with 30 pound Trilene Big Game with a 7 foot big water zebco rod. I'm going to upgrade to Okuma's and Abu's because they hold more line. Got spooled this spring which sucked! Chris

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Hey man.You got the bite and had the fight.That is what it really is all about.If you just go to catch fish,you have a lot of misery and disappointment ahead of you.Catching fish ain;t the secret of life.Enjoying your life is.It is so simple and obvious that we can not see it.peewee-williams

8. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Peewee, I'm all about fishing for the fun involved and understand completely. I just felt kind of helpless when the fish this spring took the bait and went upstream against the current, no stopping and I was not even able to turn the reel one time. Just kept pulling line with the rod bent all the way to the reel with the drag going "zip, zip, zip" and then came the knot at the end and snap. Biggest fish I've ever had on and would like to have at least saw it first. Chris

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Matter of fact.It.a FUN!Believe me when I say.I understand.I have had it happen with 4 lb.to 80 lb.line.I have learned to enjoy it instead of cussing when it happened.It sure beats those no bite nights,but they are great too.peewee-williams

10. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I got three 808's. Two newer style with the star drag on the handle, and one with the old thumb wheel in the reel body. I prefer the older one because the drag stays where I set it. The stag drag always seem to get bumped and change the setting.

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    There are many of these old reels out there and most could use this simple "tune up,or repair".Repair items.Two 5/16"x7/16"x1/16" or two 3/8"x1/2"x1/16" common"O" rings.Metric substitution O.K.These can be found at your local auto parts store.Small Adjustable wrench.=This usually happens quicker when you store or leave the reels with the drag on.These "O" rings eventually will deteriorate with age.Normally a easy fix.First.Both nuts remove counterclockwise.Remove the smaller "cone shaped nut" that holds the "handle" on.The "handle" will now slip off.Remove "handle".Remove the larger "flat nut" that holds the "star" on.Remove the "star".Remove old deteriorated or flattened "O" rings found next, "IF" any are left on the shaft.Install the "two" new "O" rings.Reassemble in order of disassembly.Your drag should hold now as most "O"rings deteriorate with age and the compression of the "O" ring keeps tension on the star,which holds it in place.If you still have trouble,it most likely is internal.I tried to write this as simple as possible so that Single digit to triple digit ages and abilitys could do it.peewee-williams

12. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    I always disliked the drag system on the 808. The drag system on mine(older models) stuck or never stayed where I put it 5 out 10 times and I always lost fish. Has the drag system improved on the newer models?

13. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I caught a 31" carp on a Zebco 202 years ago. I'm sure your 808 is up to the task

14. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for the info peewee. I give it a try.

15. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've got an 808, it's name is Spongbob. I use it mostly for drift fishing and have caught mostly 2 to 10 pounders for about five years. Keep it clean and lubed and they are a tough and inexpensive reel. Now, Go catch a BIG one.

16. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I bought an 808 from walmart a couple years ago, Perhaps I got a bad one because The first cat i caught on it was a 14lb blue and it ruined the reel. Never would work after that, even after cleaning an relube, new line. I am impressed that it handled the big flat as posted above.

17. shawn00

shawn00 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The brand new Magnum 808 by Zebco now holds 125 yds. of 25 lb. mono. This new reel is bigger than the old 808 and is more solidly built. (It's alot heavier too.) I'm sure it can handle just about any freshwater fish lurking out there.

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All of the Zebco spincast reels used to be rough, tough, and long-lasting. I even had a Zebco 202 that brought in 20 3-5# cats in one day. My 5th birthday present was a rod and reel combo with a Zebco 33 that lasted 13 years before the rod broke and my dad still uses the reel. Since about mid 1980s the quality went way down with plastic gears and such. I wouldn't use one now unless I found one of the old ones in a pawn shop or something.

19. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    These reels sure have made a lot of us kids between the ages of 3 and 61 happy.I am thankful that I remained a kid.Grown ups are just too hard to please.Many in life have a hard time affording a $15.00 reel and would CONSIDER IT PRICELESS.That "cheap and simple "Kids" reel as some call it,could well be the most valuable and treasured piece of fishing equipment someone could possibly own.I am talking about reels such as the first one in these threads.To me,that reel would be priceless.It was given and received by two people that love each other.Were I a grown up,I might be able to read that very first thread with the rest,and then write a thread like the one above.As a kid,I don;t think like that.May I die a happy child with my kiddie reels.peewee-williams

20. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Is everyone talking about the "new" 808 Magnum reel, with drag dial on top, grey plastic rear houseing with metal seat, metal front and bearing drive ? It was $30 , and I'm told it's a much stronger and better reel than the 733 Hawg, though both are simliar set ups, except for size. Is THIS the reel that is a good big cat reel, and well built ? What can really break or go wrong ? I thought the 733 would be a good cat reel, now I believe maybe the 808 is the better choice , maybe ? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: -Thanks