New York NewYork

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by droptine77, Sep 21, 2007.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    My wife and I are planning a vacation to Washington DC and Niagra Falls the first of Oct. We would like to go to New York to see ground zero. Do any of you guys or gals know any thing about the city? Is it as bad as they say it is? Descent place to stay on a catfishermans budget? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Try some towns in North Jersey across the river from NY. Drive to Mannhattan. It will be cheaper. :big_smile:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ain't no such thing as a budget in north Jersey or New York. Navigatein the jungle will be your biggest challenge. Do your recon work real good. Don't even think about drivein there. You will regret it. Public transportation is the route to go. I would suggest stayin in southern Jersey near Philly and takein the train up there.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm from Long Island myself but if you make it to the city and like music the Village is the place to go. I love the old Jazz/blues clubs they have. If you get in a taxie.... hang on brother, lol. The city has come a long way in the past 15 years. Its way cleaner and their is a lot of cops out there. If you have the city jitters and don't want to be noticed hide your camera, don't dress up to fancy and make sure you pronounce "Houston Street" correctly. But honestly you shouldn't worry. We went back after 911 and being a native NY'er I was devastated at the site. A lot of memories going up the towers on school trips. I have the original caution tap from around part of the site. Its hidden and tucked away with dozens of playing cards, shot glasses, and post cards that were actually bought from the gift shop inside. Also in there is a autographed ball from the Yankees, think from the late 70's. Yep, Catfish hunter is on there lol. I wonder what that ball is worth now, lol.

5. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    I've been there three times & (TRUST ME) Greg's advice above is about the BEST there is!!!

You can get the PATH train (Post Authority Trans Hudson) from various stations in Jersey to Manhattan. It terminates on 33rd street near Madison Square Gardens. As you come out of the station, take a left & then look right, you will see the Empire State Building. It's FIRST stop in Manhattan will be the one you're looking for (9th street). You take a right & it's about a 10 minute walk to Ground Zero.

There's a QUALITY INN at the New Jersey end of the Holland Tunnel that's IDEAL for you. As it's technically classed as the State Line, there's a high Police prescence there, so squad cars are quite common. It's about a 5 minute walk to the nearest P.A.T.H. station from there (Pavonia/Newport) & it's got a nice shopping mall as well.

The Area that it's in is called Hoboken (Birthplace of Frank Sinatra) & it's got some very nice bars too. The links below should give you a few starters, but as I said Greg above has given you just about the BEST advice there is to be kind to your wallet. It's only a 15 minute train ride into N.Y.C. from there but it'll save you a small fortune to stay on the Jersey side of the Hudson.

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=2...T5pz0ssco0Es2wW9Zlbbed3JkY4BfI4T1YEi.OicQ_88y

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/map.html

Hope this helps.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Greg i live in upstate N. Y. and have only been to the city once. Two things i know dont drive in the city and dont stay there. Use public transportation, and stay outside of the city. Im sorry i cant be of much help, but im not a person that likes or enjoys large cities, so i avoid them if possible.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well everyone else beat me to it. They are all correct:wink:

8. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    That would work too.