New York Baitfish Regulation

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by ratkinson, Apr 3, 2007.

If your DEC implemented these rules in your area would you...

1. Applaud them for protecting our fishing resources.

2. Be upset that your main bait supplies are now useless.

3. Switch to fishing stricly night crawlers.

4. Sneak your bait in anyway.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I was shocked today when I read the new Fish Health Inspection Requirements from the N.Y.D.E.C These are emergency provisions to try to contain Viral Hemorrhagic Septicema & Soring Viremia of Carp Virus. They also certify the presence or abscence of the following pathogens: Aeromonas salmonicida, Yerssinia ruckeri, and, Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis Virus.

What does that mean to the fisherman on a practical level? Legal selfcaught baitfish can only be used in the body of water they were caught. No you can't catch them, bring them home, and come back with them to fish. They cannot be transported over land. However we can catch our own bait in the tributaries up to the first impassible barrier. If the officer checks your bait and is not satisfied you caught them where you are they can sieze your bait for testing, and possible fines. I catch my own bait. I have several ponds and streams packed with choice bait. I can use them in those ponds and streams but there are no few fish large enough to eat them, thus why the supply is so plentiful.

Plan B: Buy my bait at the bait shop. Bait shops must have a health certification and current reports of bait testing. Your receipt wil reflect said certification and must be presented upon demand, or, You guessed it testing and possible fines. Save those receipts. The bonus being these baits can be fished in multiple areas.

I guess I should applaud the DEC for these actions. Am I selfish for being frustrated, probably. Things just seem to be more complicated then they use to be.

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Although i am upset about not being able to transport live bait from one area to another, i do agree with the new regulation. Most of my fishing is done with cut bait and wont affect me that much.A lot of the live bait i use comes from the Champlain canal. I was just thinking today that i should contact the D.E.C. and make sure that i can use it in south bay and lake Champlain. They are all connected, but i just want to make sure.
    I know this new law has affected a lot of the smaller bait shops. The cost to have your bait certified is $1,400, and has to be done yearly. Some of the bait shop owners have suppliers that have asorbed the cost. Others that raise there own bait have to pay this out of there own pockets. This is going to hurt a lot of the smaller shops and i do feel this is wrong.

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
  4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    IN the summer months blue gill are hard to come by in some f the water ways where I live. My buddy and I hit one sweet spot we found for gills then before night fall, we drive a few miles to our catfishing spots.
    If we couldnt transport our bait, we might as well not even fish....

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    With water systems being as fragile as they are, I think it is a good thing to be cautious. We have some fisheries here where you can't even use fish that came from the water you are fishing in for bait. Just worms and lures are allowed.

6. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I guess I would have to applaud them. Protecting the fish & baitfish is more important than a convenient location to harvest them. As long as you got a way to get any bait at all.

ps - did you ever consider stocking your ponds sometime with larger fish? I dont know the price per pound of fish up there but thought it might be an idea?

7. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Catman:

Good idea, but, I don't own these ponds. I just have lifetime usage/access. Owner might go for it.