New Year's Report....New PB!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by JPritch, Jan 5, 2009.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Got to Deep Bottom early Thursday, bait was easy, 10 minutes and I'm off to the first hole. I pull a 32# within the first 10 minutes. Great start to the New Year! Okay, this is going to be a good day I thought. Well the bite shut off, and I went racing all over the river trying to find an active area. I probably spent four hours running the river and trying a few holes in between and didn't catch anything. I ended up at one point in the DG area, and never saw a tide so low. I went to the barge pits and the flats going in were all mud. It was a good day to mark any obstructions back in there because you could see everything. In the afternoon, I decided to fish one of my honey holes. Proceeded to pull a 35 and 38 to end a decent, but cold day. Would liked to have stayed the entire weekend, but I couldn't shake a bout of this cold/flu I had, so I came home to rest up.

Came back to the river on Sunday ready to go. Bait again was fast and easy. I start the day off with a 32#. I moved to another spot and the tide started to slack, and I remember hearing something about the cats moving around at slack tide, so I casted a big piece of bait into the channel. What do you know, rod gets slammed and I fight a HOSS to the boat. New PB for me at 55 lbs, 44" long! Wooo Hooo! Decide to fish one last spot for the day, and good thing I did, because the bite was on before I could get all my rods into the water. I immediately boated a 30# and as I was netting it, another rod went down and it was a 42#. I had to hold the rod with one hand, and try dumping the 30 from the net with the other. As I was taking a picture with those fish, another rod went down and I have another nice fish going 40+ at the side of my boat. I took a long time trying to net it and it broke my leader off. That was all my fault, because earlier in the day, I pinched the leader accidentally with my pliers while removing the hook from a fish. Lazy me didn't re-tie it, so lesson learned and I won't let that happen again. So almost a triple, but I'll take the solid double. Question - how do you pose for a triple when by yourself? lol.

So all in all a great two days fishing for me.

Final tally for the weekend:
    Thursday: 38, 35, 32, 21
    Sunday: 55, 42, 32, 30, 24, 21, 15, 10, 10, 10

Attached Files:

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Some more pics:

Attached Files:

• Double.jpg
      Double.jpg
      File size:
      16.3 KB
      Views:
    • 30.jpg
      30.jpg
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
    • 38.jpg
      38.jpg
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Last pics:

Attached Files:

• 35.jpg
      35.jpg
      File size:
      41.5 KB
      Views:
    • 32_1.jpg
      32_1.jpg
      File size:
      41.8 KB
      Views:
    • 32_2.jpg
      32_2.jpg
      File size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
  4. gotbait

gotbait New Member

State:
    VA
    Nice opener to '09! Glad to hear the bait re-appeared.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joshua thanks for sharing the story and pics. Congrats on the new PB. Your off to a great start.

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Great report. It looks like you had a good time. Maybe someday I will be able to make it down that way and have a go at a big Blue. Is there anywhere to fish from the bank down there? I don't have a boat, so that is about all I can do.

7. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    Thats a great weekend...congrats on the pb...thanks for the pics...

8. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Congrats on your new PB.....Very nice fish

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Outstanding! Congratulations on your new PB!

10. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    I'm so jealous of you right now! You already did better in 09 than I did in 08 and were only a few days into 09...:embarassed:

Big congrats though!!

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Repo,

Just keep putting your time in on the water and keep your eyes and ears open to all info. Some of my posts back to '07 when I started catfishing are about 10 lbers and such, which I considered a good day. It hasn't been easy, and these days are the exception not the norm. But keep plugging away and good things will happen.

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Cool....You flat Wore them out!

13. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looks like the monsters are getting caught, been on the board over a year and they only get caught in the winter.....next year I'll know.

14. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    Yo Josh... way to go on the good day... Im glad those secret spots I showed you last year are still hot this winter. Might have to give that section of the river a go before to long. Keep up the good work, I told you to have patience and it would all pay off... Good work and congrats.

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats, nice Blues !!!!!!!!!! :cool2::cool2::cool2:

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Awesome report and catch!

Got my PB last month. Those big blues are soooooo cooool!

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Super way to bring in the New Year Joshua! :cool2: Some real nice pics, thanks for posting them! :big_smile:

18. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    great report josh!!! when you finally got that boat fixed you really got dialed in it seems. good job. keep doing whatever you are doing cause its working for sure.

19. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats on new p.b.! Nice pics! Way to start the new year!

20. little.james

little.james New Member

State:
    virginia
    nice catch Josh sounds like you had your hands full