New World Record Whitetail!!!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 21, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now that I have your attention I want to ask you guys/gals this. If that hit the newspapers with your name after it would you sell the deer and all the rights to it? If you anwser yes what would be the price?

My anwser is I could never sell it. It would be like selling a piece of me. No I just couldnt do it. This comes up time to time in our travels. What are you guys opinion?

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'd sell that deer in a New York Minute. No taxidermy stuff on my walls. I take pictures and eat or give away what I kill. A set of horns would mean absolutely nothing to me. I trapped two jaguars, countless pumas, and a bunch of ocelots in Paraguay in 1977. I thought about having some of them made into rugs but decided to sell them all to the hide buyer instead. I never regretted doing it. Two kids starting college soon. I'd use the money for that. All this is speculation because a world record whitetail in VA is about as likely as hitting that big multi-state lottery. Good luck to everyone.

3. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would or could never sell it! Part of the memory is photos, racks, and mounts. I would keep my memory. They could however pay me to bring my trophy to special events, that I would consider. With extreme security. I mean I was real nervous about taking my deer to the Iowa Deer Classics. As a matter of fact, we didnt' even take him for the entire weekend, we took him over for the last few hours of the event to be scored and a few people look at him and we never left the property, but I had to keep checking on him. Plus I wrote several emails to verify security and proper handling. I had heard some horror stories and was very nervous.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Id sell it but would want a pretty penny. Im not too high on taxidermy either dont really know why. I would want enough to buy the house of my dreams on the land of my dreams and enough left over to pay the taxes for awhile. Would a world record be worth millions? Especially once you say what products you used during the hunt. My ..... rifle loaded with ...... powder and a ........ bullet. Not to mention my .... camo and .... tree stand and .... It could go on for quite a while.

5. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I could sell it. I would have the memories and photos of the hunt. The mount really don't mean squat to me. I think I would do like Brian said, Make the money in the advertising to get me some money for my dream hunting property.

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    why would one want to sell it? You'd be rich from just all the endorsements you'd get.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    No way!! not unless I was about to lose my home and seriously needed the money. then we'd be talking mid to high 6 figures.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sell it buy more land on the river and a new boat then go for the WR Flathead!!!!! :wink:

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ................................sold..........................................

10. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    well, I would sell it under one stipulation. First it is going to cost them a bunch of money but they are going to make me a few replicas.

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well i would never sell it myself. i personally dont think it should be allowed to sell antlers. look at this way how many big bucks have hit the dirt from poachers due to the thoughts of being able to sell the antlers. so why even help the poachers out that hunt your land and everybody by setting them up for the value of antlers. just not right in my book and i think it could be the down fall of the sport we like so much. kind of like selling catfish to pay lakes from public waters. money wont buy my hard earned pride. i will leave it for the next generation to decide on. now a replica to them i might nego. if they want one. im keeping the real deal. i am surprised that money would rule this sport when most dont think of it as a rich mans game. i guarnatee you 9 out of 10 would be broke in less than 10 years from the sell of a world record whitetail. just not a road i want to travel. by the way in my state it is against the law to sell antlers. just my opinion

i do have a question for those that would sell them though. how would it benfit the sport by you selling them?

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would never sell any of the few racks i have including ...If I ever was lucky enough to get a record book buck or fish or any thing I harvested for that matter.

13. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well, if the price is right, I would be gone pretty fast. I'm really not one to mount a deer, anyway. I guess if it was a huge deer then it would be a different story. I would definately sell it, though. I could really use the $ and I would always know in my heart that the deer taken down by yours truely. That is what really matters anyway, right?

14. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i dont think i could, like was stated before, just by saying what gear you used would get you alot of money anyway. i wager that if you had mossy oak boxers on wihout any other camo mossy oak would jump on that opertunity to use that as a marketing ad. well, maybe not boxers but you get the idea.

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was waiting for a post such as yours before I made clear some of my thoughts.
    1. I think the woods is full of "lotto hunters" they are not out there for the true sport. It is the idea they may hit the jackpot!!! And we wonder why the anti's and peta have a hay day with us?
    2. We have taken a tradition and turned it into a "trophy" world. And dont think our kids pick up on this.
    3. The most prized deer of my 30 years hunting came last year. It was my first year using carbon arrows and a new broadhead. A "doe" came sneaking up the river bank for me to watch and admire. As my scouting predicted she would stop at log on trail then proceed. At which time I would have a broadside shot!! It was a hunt to perfection "she" came and stopped and I let go and to my amazement the arrow hit ground on other side. At first I thought how could of I missed? The deer kinda looked around and fell on ground in "her" tracks. I climbed down the tree kinda of numb. On examining "her" she turned into a "he". I wouldnt sell that whole deer let alone the head for a million dollars. But hay thats just me.

16. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    Not only would I NOT sell it I doubt seriuosly if I would let it be offically scored. Just think of all the people snooping around trying to dig up dirt on you just to try to prove you did something illegal. You would be hounded night and day. Your privacy would be gone and your family would be subjected to all kinds of garbage. Nope....I don't want to shoot the world record deer.

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I couldn't sell it, I've hunted my whole life, and if one that big came by, and I could keep the cross haires on it, to get a shot. Then it's stayin at my house, on my wall. The taxidermist that I would use, would have to let me stay at his place for the whole time he had my rack.

Reason for that last coment was, I have a few bass that I got mounted, and 3 of them I know for a fact are not the fish that I caught. So I don't truse a lot of taxidermists.

Now I would let who ever make some replicas, but I would be gettin a percentage of the sells.

18. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    I'm not going to say I would not sell the antlers because money talks. But I can say i have all of the antlers from any buck I killed with lots of them in my livingroom. As of right now in my life I can recal the events of the hunt for each of those which makes of fond memories. I have friends that can throw them on a wood pile and never look at them again, not me they are charrished posessions in my book. If I did kill a world record buck and sold the antlers, I would kind of feel like I was prostututing the thing I love.

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I would not just up an sell it. Nope, got to work this one just right. First off, I'de not let it known I was the one who shot it. Then, let it go to the highest bidding idiot who has money and is too $@$#^$ to go out an shoot his own record. Let him have all the glory, for the right price. Now, I know a lot of you would not find favor with my approach. That's fine, an you have nothing to worry about anyway, I'm a meat huntin doe killin type, not a trophy buck hunter. I'm also an opportunist and would not let a trophy walk. Antlers are nice to have around. I've got a few boxes of them laying around,,,,,,,,,somewhere.

20. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Funny how when money enters into a situation our thoughts are suddenly bought. No wonder the saying "Money is the root of all evil" is still alive and kicking today!!!:eek:oooh: