new world record flathead wow

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JERMSQUIRM, Feb 1, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok this aint no new record.

i have a serious Q for all b.o.c. members.

ok, lately there has been a lot of bad talk on commercial fishing. raping rivers ect.... and they do way more damage compaired to sportsman ect....
    ok

then the paypond thing. we all pretty much feel the same on this i agree.

the littering thing. we all agree? right?

heres my beef. when someone says look at the 30lb flathead i caught last week on a limbline. it turns into a 6 month fight over why he done it, how much better the world would be if he hadnt done that and he should take cameras. fine.

then there are deer threads. there is one posted with freak antlers. looks like a cactus buck. i couldnt count the members saying blast that freak. poach it whatever, get rid of that animal. where where the cpr guys then to stop the unsportsman like conduct?

then in the gar section. ive watched over the years countless posts on "stickin there snouts in the mud" "toss over the bank" "cut off there bottom jaw and throw back in." and same with carp. but me and one or two others is all thats there to say what the hell? this isnt b.o.c. conduct that we stand for.

last but not least. snappers. how do i kill them? shoot then with a rifle and watch them sink, a shotgun works well.

and if i see a snake i kill it. there no good.

how do we condone all the bottom yet loth commercial fisherman?

to me there are lots of hypocritical comments going on. it is just me or anyone else see this? maybe im the only one that views all sections of the board.:embarassed:

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    but if commercial fishing follows guidelines they arent doing anything illegal. there are far more polluters in my area doing far more damage then commercial fishing.

and for 1 i dont toss nothing on the bank. trash or fish. i pick up what i see and will call dnr if i ever see anyone tossing fish to die. in a heartbeat. as well as killing harmless snakes. whine about the bugs and kill thier enemys. makes no sence. ill stop griping for now but ill be back. really would like some replies on this. you would not believe in the fishing season how many posts and threads are about hating and killing fish that are less pleasing than cats.

yet we hate bass fisherman,lol. they toss cats, ya so gar fishermen hate catfisherman that toss gar. why are we on a pedistal? i think we should all help watch the board and report posts un becoming a sportsman. is tossing fish on bank legal anywhere in the u.s.a.? it aint here.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    GOOD POST BROTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    for example. catfish crazys big blue. i would rather see pics of him frying it in oil than hear a guy post "well all i caught was 5 bait steeling gar so i cut them in 1/2 with my camping ax and pitched them in the weeds"

or "i seen a snapper poking at my bobber. must have weighed 50lbs. i shot it with my .22/250 lol":sad2:

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Bro., there are a lot of us on the BOC that look at the abuse of snakes, turtles, gars, etc. as you do. All of these creatures have a purpose in the scheme of things. The turtles and gars keep the lakes and rivers clean of dead things, just like the buzzard does on land. The same can be said of the Ark. blue cat and chanell cat. The snakes, if let alone will take care of their share of rats, etc. But, to get pi$$ed off at a turtle or gar because they are messing with your bait is to me, a person out of control. Move away from them if they are pestering you. A high percentage of the time if you have a lot of gar's in a certain location, you don't have cats.

I have no major problem with people using limb lines and fish traps if they maintain/monitor them and use the catch for food. I do have a problem of people removing fish from public waters and transferring them to pay ponds/lakes.

To take fish from a lake or river and throw it on the bank because you don't like that type of fish or have been told that there is an over supply of that species is beyond me. Hell, keep it and give it to someone one in your neighborhood or mission center and let them clean it for supper or feed it to the down and out, etc. There are always exception to the rule and one might be the Asian Carp.

The benefits of having commercial fishermen. They can control the fish population better than the sportsman, that is a given. But, in this day and time are they doing a service to the public? Almost every state in the union has some type of health alert relating to catfish consumption. Most of these alerts inform the public to only eat 1/2 pound of wild catfish per week and that children and pregant women should not eat any at all. Now here is the problem as I see it. The commercial fisherman sells his product (catfish) to the local fish house (restaurant) and they in turn prepare it for the public. The person eating at the fish house does not know that they are eating wild catfish and are subject to consuming unhealthy levels of Mercury or PCB's, etc. Thus, the pregant woman is endangering her fetus unknownly or letting her small children eat something they shouldn't. Who's job is it to monitor this situation, the local health dept's and are they doing it, nope.

I could go on and on, but I will stop now to let the someone else add to this debate. Mac

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Well you know I was gonna show up , LOL. These are my thoughts... a lot of people do a lot of things that are just plain wrong. I can't explain why people do the thing they do either. All I can actually do is act like a intelligent compassionate human being and take care of what I actually have control of. After that my only weapon is my words.

One thing I have noticed on the CPR thing is that MOST people that complain about a large cat being killed don't say much at all....You look around for yourself. Theses are examples:

Nice fish, would have been nice to have see him let go

Nice fish, but the smaller ones taste better

You call that jumping on someone ?

Yea there might be some rude people here and there but lumping us all in one pile isn't the thing to do. I don't control what comes out of another man's mouth. It his his right to speak just as much as that person has his right to keep that #30 cat.

This is how it starts out. Next thing you know a #30 cat eating person will come on a cry that cpr people are jumping on them. I honestly think the defense kicks in because they know eating smaller ones does more help but they can't defend their large catch. So what's the easy thing to do.......strart talking about it's legal so why should anyone say anything ?

If you are catching for food you are more than likely not targeting giant cats, your doing it for the sport. If you are fishing for food your not gonna be out on a boat with a bait tank full of shad/herring looking for big arches. For that matter if I'm needing food that bad I prolly couldn't afford to be on-line to put up a pic with my new digital camera. I see this a lot, but I'm no fool !!!

Killing things because they annoy you.Well you can look at my post also on that one. I'm so against that it aint funny. If you kill things for that reason...dont EVER invite me to fish with you !!!! I will get mean...fast !!!

Are we on a pedestal...hell yea we are, but ya know what ? There is plenty of room for us all.

I'm no hunter but I hang with the boys day in and day out. I even track with them. Deer don't take as long to get to full growth as catfish, and there is limits on them and that's why we can enjoy that sport today. These fish take 20, 30, 40 yrs to get this big !!!!!! not 6 or 7 yrs.

Pointing to the commercial fishing, guides etc, etc doesn't affect me as a person, what I mean is just because they may do more damage doesn't make it ok for me to keep a #50 cat...TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT. Looking at what others do wrong won't make me a better person. I have to take responsibility for myself. I just cant stand seeing people say ...."the commercial peeps are doing more damage than me".... If I do my part that is one more fish out there to grow. I really hate giving my info out and to see it used to catch and eat large fish....it burns my @$$.

I have caught big cats and kept them, I'm not a hypocrite, I'm just a average Joe with the ability to learn and grow.. and I did, thanks to the -BoC-

As I write this and say " you " I don't mean the author of this thread . I mean it in general so plz don't take it that way ; )

I'm sure I've got more to say but I gotta go for a few.

Jeremy,I know we don't always see eye to eye but I respect ya brother and I thank you for this thread. Rep's to ya !!!

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You go deer hunting you shoot a deer, maybe 2 or 3 a year.

Commercial fishermen are taking thousand of tons of catfish from our public waters.

The sport of catfishing is growing in leaps and bounds, The pressure on our waters has increased 10 fold in just a few years..If you want more catfish to catch then comercial fishing must be stoped.

How about if they had comercial deer hunting, where one guy would go and capture hundreds of trophy bucks and put them in a pen to hunt, I dont think that would be right either.

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Jeremy i agree with you on the needless slaughter of any animal its wrong and should not be tolerated ever. Having said that commercial fishing for cats has got to be stopped or our sport will be gone in 10 years. Commercial fisherman dont care if its 5 lbs or 50 lbs their keeping it.

9. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I guess I am sort of a tree-hugger. I don't believe in killing anything just because it is there. I release big cats to make babies, so that I can have small ones for the skillet. I don't kill snakes...no, not even poisonous snakes unless they are close to habitations. A cottonmouth on the bank, away from houses, is no threat. A rattler, away from homes is no threat to anything, except rats and mice.

If it is not a food source, let it live!

10. captain kirko

captain kirko New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am with the rest of ya,

These cleaners of the deep are sweeping up much more then they need!
    Maybe they will "bump into BIG MOMMA" and she will take them under!

>>> PROTECT WHAT HE GAVE, LEAVE SOME FOR YOUR KID'S <<<

11. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i hear you on the shad thing paul.if you aint gonna use them-leave them be.if you see 10 shad swimming--9 of them arent gonna survive to spawning size,so its important to only take what you need.good post!

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    The biggest thing on the CPR thing I see is for the most part when someone catches a big blue or channel, but mostly blues. I hardly ever if ever see anything being said about big flatties, and there alot of them in avatars & reports that u see the pics being taken at home or strung up somewhere. But even then, to each his own. As for the commercial fishermen, maybe if they had the DNR guys @ the ramp when they pull out of the water to observe the catches these guys pull out, they will see just how many big fish these guys keep over the limit. I'm not too familiar w/ the regs on this, whether it goes by size limit or poundage, but they have been caught & prosecuted. But there alot more out there breaking the rules, these few were just the ones they caught!!! Maybe more strict laws or more ppl getting involved, not just complaining about it, would help stop these guys!!!

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with most of what has been said. I do not hate commercial fishermen. Do I wish there were fewer of them...you bet. Maybe even some size regulations here in kentucky we have no size regulations on catfish. At least not on the big lakes that I fish. I do believe this would help the catfishing for years to come. I think there should be a minimum size limit and a maximum size limit. I used to keep the big ones..but always for the table. Never to be wasted or sold or whatever. Now after joining the BOC..I have made personal committments to do my part to conserve our fisheries.I won't keep anything over 10lbs and only then if I or a family member needs the meat. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if a web site like this one changed the way I look at keeping catfish...Maybe it can begin to change the way a lot of others look at keeping catfish. I am not against keeping fish for the table. But only what a man needs for his family. I enjoy reading and participating in post made here on this site.I don't think we should condemn a man for keeping his catch...I think we should help to educate others on the importance of catch and release of the bigger ones. And this should be done in a manner to which a person actually wants to release thier catch..and not made to feel like he is doing something wrong by keeping them.If we argue and sqaubble over cpr then we aren't really helping anything here.....To educate is the answer. As for the asian carp...we are encouraged not to return them to the waters here in Kentucky by our local game authorities.:confused2:

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The comercial fisherman needs to find other means of employment...Just like the rest of us! Or the laws need to be changed to outlaw comercial fishing for catfish, period.

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Some good post above. I believe all people should follow the rules and regs. They are there for a reason. That is why we have limits on the different animals, deer, fish, etc.. I have a saying, Let nature take care of itself. Thats what helps keep it in balance. As for the commercial cat fishing I believe it should be stopped. Even mother nature can't balance this out.

16. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I could'nt care any less about his orders!!!So what your saying is the many should suffer so a few can get rich by raping our rivers? It seems this has struck a nerve with you im guessing you or someone you know is a commercial fisherman. Well you may be responsable but you probably have 1 boat. How about the companys who have 30 boats fishing 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week. You think they are beening responsable you think their saying no throw that one back hes a trophy fish i seriously doubt it. If im wrong about you i apologize but i have no sempathy for commercial fisherman and they dont have any for me.

17. MikeonWabash

MikeonWabash New Member

State:
    Grayville, Illinois
    I agree that if commercial fishing is not stopped, they should at least have tighter regulations put on them. I know they have hurt the Wabash River. Nearly every good place to fish has a net or a trot line running through it.

As a sport fisherman, I keep only a few small fish for the table. They make far better tablefare than a big fish. I think all big fish should be released.

No animal should be needlessly slaughtered for any reason. Not even for a trophy. Take a picture or have a replica made. The only exception I might make would be the Asian carp, they need to be controlled and man may be their only predator.

18. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I believe that every fish thats over 10 or 15 lbs. should be released. Its a well known fact that the bigger the fish the more eggs they lay. If you leave all of the reproduction up to the smaller fish I think we are all in trouble. Not to mention the bigger the fish the better the nesting site and the better the survival rate is for the fry. I once read that 90-95% of all catfish eggs and fry are eatin by bluegill before the get an inch.Fish that we use for bait is our biggest competitor,lol.I do not think Kansas has a commercial fishery. I am glad because it seem that we have enough pressure as it is.I read a stocking report for Kansas' waters awile back and it stated that they stocked the Arkansas river with channel cats.I do not know if this is common practice but I have never heard of it before.This must mean that the river is not naturally producing the numbers of fish that it should,imo. I believe that this is because of the bigger fish being kept and not released. Dont get me wrong there are a few fisherman that throw the big ones back but most around here want to show it off. I have watched this river fall apart in the last 15 years. I once floated a 5 mile section of the river and counted 11 shopping carts within the first mile and a half.I think that is a major problem. But we all know that 100 years ago there were more trophy fish, a blue on the Mississippi River would easily go to 150 to 200 lbs. This was before strict regulations on the commercial fisherman. Go investigate and you will find that big blues used to be hung up like sides of beef at slaughter houses. i agree that the smaller ones taste better and probably have fewer pollutants.We all need to realize we need to have a selective harvest, commercial fisherman included, or we will all be out of a way of life.

19. yadkinrivercats

yadkinrivercats Member

State:
    mocksville,n.c.
    Good post Jeremy !!!!!!!!!

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great thread Jeremy!!!:wink::big_smile: