New Wood Working Guru!

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Whistler, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I want to introduce everyone to our new Wood Working Guru! Mr. Jim Marshall(Fish) is now going to lead you all to fame and fortune with his great and finely honed wood working skills. Congrats Jim and have some fun in here.

P.S. If anyone is ever gonna be at a gathering where Jim is gonna be, get him to bring his Wood Working Albums. Jim is a true artist at wood work. His work is just beautiful and he rightly has a lot of pride in what he's done. Thanks Jim for volunteering to keep an eye on this section.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    C'mon Jim, whoop it on us...:big_smile: Congratulations!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Vacuuming sucks!

3. Nanny_cat

Nanny_cat New Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Brian, that sweet husband of mine is a very modest man. So, let me tell everyone that Jimmy has done some of the most amazing woodworking I have ever seen. Since he will never 'toot his own horn', I just wanted to 'toot' it for him.:smile2:

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Anyone that has seen the camper Jim built knows he is truly a craftsman.

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Thanks Bryan for putting your trust in me and for the wonderful comments. I will do my best to help anyone anyway I can.

Dale, thank you my friend for your kindness.

Now I done got the big head.hehehe

Seriously, I know of a whole lot of really talented wood workers here in our great family because I have seen some of your work. If you have any of your work you would like to post please do, we would sure love to see it.

All you whittlers and sawdust slangers out there share some of your work with us. If there are any questions about wood working of any kind please make a post because some one here will know the answer.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've seen Jim's album of wood working artistry. He's one talented termite:lol:

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    He does have some talent in wood now. thats for sure

8. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Jim,
    Scan some of those pictures and share them here.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jim, I hope that we can ask questions of you in this area. If so, my first one is a problem that has plagued me many times over the years. Where can I find a board stretcher? I hear people talking about them all of the time. It sure would be nice to have one as sometimes I do cut a board a little to short. Any help would be greatly appreciated..:roll_eyes:

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Short is in the eyes of the beholder...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    A good conscience is a soft pillow.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Alright Jim, that camper is just plain awesome. I can attest to that.

Can't wait to see some more of your work Jim.

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Is that beholder, or beer holder?

13. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    They are on aisle 3 just past the skyhooks. I nearly got fired off a job for sending a laborer to the storage trailer for one. He was a 20 year old college junior, nephew of the company vice-president.

14. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Aw shucks fellers, I appreciate your kind remarks but ya'll don't want to see the ole stuff I have built. We want to see ya'lls things. If you do any kind of crafts, no matter what it is, we want to see them, because we love da pictures.

Dennis, you stole my line about the skyhooks, that is what I was going to say.LOL

Jack I think the board stretcher is right next to the bucket of coastline or the prop wash.LOL

Dennis would you post some pictures of your walking sticks, they are awesome and are the art work of a true crafsman.

OK, I will get it started here is our kitchen cabinets and table.

Also two walnut tables for one of my old customers.

Attached Files:

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    :eek:oooh: Wow!:eek:oooh:

How cool is that??!?!?

JIM! That is artwork.

Its a joy to do work with wood- I try to merely be a craftsman who lets the wood speak for itself- the grains and knots making their own random and flowing artistic statement. I too enjoy a bit of wood work, but I tend to do outdoorsy and more rugged stuff. My wood of choice as of late is cedar. I get it in big ole hunks from an Amish lumberyard, and some of you have seen the deck that I made. I posted it somewhere on the site.

Anyhow... by comparison, Jim... you're an artist. As opposed to a craftsman, an artist knows where the grain will go before he makes the cut.

That walnut table pic surely attests to the diffference between our styles for sure. I'd never let that see sunlight, let alone sit outside like everything Ive done for the last 2 years.

I used to do a lot of finish work- mostly oak this-and-that, but once I finished the inside of our house, I pretty much burned out on it and went on to rustic furniture... benches and tables and swings for family member and friends; cabins and such.

Gosh.... that stuff sure is nice.

Please do post more. Some time when I get more film, Ill take photos of some of my stuff and get it on out here too... but dont expect it to be Jim-Quality!:cool2: :cool2:

Sal

Quick anecdote for ya that I got out of a readoer's Digest:

A fella used to do a lot of wood work with "shorts"- small pieces of leftover wood from previous cuts that he would dig out of the trash can next to the saw at the local lumberyard. About every couple of weeks he would go through the bin and nobody ever really questioned it cause the "shorts" were cutoffs and few people wanted the little pieces or knew how to do much of anything with them.
    One day he went into the store and a new young lady was working at the front desk that he never met before. He approached her as he did everyone else that worked there and announced, "I dont want to buy anything, I just want to go through your shorts." After a short pause, he turned red and walked out, never returning again.
    :lol:

16. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Ok Jim , I'm in uncharted waters trying to post pics but here goes. AR000602.jpg

AR000802.jpg

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Folks I have been fortunate enough to have been a guest in Jim's and Judy's home on a couple occasions and I am here to tell you that those cabinets are gorgeous. I love those things and wish I could even start a set like those.

Dennis your canes are good looking work I have seen them and you put a lot of craftsmen ship in those my friend.

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Paw Jim is a master craftsman when it come to building stuff. I treasure the time I have gotten to work with that man.:cool2:
    He is fine man all around.
    Pete

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jack that is in the glue isle. LOL
    Pete

20. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Wow, guys, I don't know what to say, I am blown away. It really don't look that good in person, the camera hides a lot of the mistakes.LOL I am humbled to say the least but this site isn't for me it is for you guys.

Sal, buddy we can't wait to see some of your work and I know you put your heart into it. Not only are you an artist with words, but with wood also. Thank you Sal for the kind words. Please do share some of your creations with us, we will be waiting. If you can would you post some pictures of your deck, I didn't get to see it. I love outside furniture also.

Dennis I don't know how you posted the pictures but you are smarter than I am. I can truly say that I have seen your work up close and personal and it is magnificant, my friend. It takes a lot of time and know how to turn those raw blanks into the great finished walking canes and walking sticks like you do. I admire your craftsmanship buddy.

Bubba, we sure did enjoy seeing you today and always do buddy. I know for a fact that you can build cabinets or anything else you put your mind to because I have seen some of the things that you have done and you are very good. Just look at your beautiful boat, you turned that ugly thing into a masterpiece and I ain't blowin smoke.

Pete, come on and post some of your work. I am totally blown away at your talent buddy. I still don't see how you do some of the art work you do with wood. I could never begin to do the intricate detail work you do in your projects. I know you have tried to show me how to do that with the scrollsaw you gave me but I can't even come close to you. How about that hope chest and how about that cabinetry that you built for your office? How about all that Adirondack outdoor furniture you have built. It is beautiful.

Come on guys don't let Dennis and me be the only ones to post some of our projects, we want to see yours, because we love da pictures. Pleeeeeeeease.