new with catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bhudrei323, Sep 6, 2008.

1. bhudrei323

bhudrei323 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hi there guys,

Do you know any ponds and lake in westmont area(within 10 miles) , that have some nice sized cats?

I've been going to hidden lakes in bollingbrook for some time and just got cats from 1-3 lbs.

thanks..

2. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Welcome to the BOC. I'm no help as I live downstate, but hopefully someone will give you a lead.

3. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    welcome to the boc,i wish i could help u out

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Mo.

5. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
  6. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    WELCOME
    Go to the Bass Pro there, and talk to the workers. I have been there and spoke to them. They were a lot of help for the area that you live in. I would try the canals south east of you.

7. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I'm in the Chicago suburbs but I've tried a couple different things.Check out your county's forest preserve web site.They usually have all the info on lakes and what's in them.Or you can try Google earth.

8. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Have you ever done any exploring the general area with Google Earth or some such site?
    It is amazing just how much water and habitat that is there which is not visable from the payment.
    In our area there are many many ponds that have been there for years growing jumbo fish that were stocked years ago and basicly forgotten after the new wore off.
    Not every place is going to be available, but I was surprised how often I was granted permission to access just for asking.
    I introduce myself and make it clear What I am requesting. Fish fry food,(Gills and Crappie) or catch and release bass, or Channels. Walk in, don't drive in a farmers field without permission close any gate you openand Pick up a sack full of trash if there is any.

Always offer to share and say thanks, you might even get invited back.

Sound a little far fetched but it sure works if you just give it a chance.
    AND: ya might just make a new Friend or two.

R Green

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bhudrei Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

10. bhudrei323

bhudrei323 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the welcome guys. I tried looking over at google earth i found a couple of ponds however when i got there it was privately owned by the subdivision. I will try to look for some again.. thanks.