New Weight Free!!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kkyyoottee, Sep 4, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have seen it all now!!! While fishing this weekend I was looking thru my tackle box when a friend of my sons was rummaging also looking for a weight when to my amazement he pulled out a spark plug!!! I thought what the H3LL!! He told me that he fishes in lots of rocks and they just dont hang up and hold real well. He had plugs from lawnmowers to tractor plugs. He said he gets them free from mechanic shops who just throw them away. Has anyone ever seen this before? I am headed out to a very rocky spot that I always get hung up to try them!!! Will keep you posted. A great weight and also helps keep them out of landfills!!!

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had hheard of that before, and cant see why they wouldn't work.

Just a thought, though, is leaving old spark plugs on the bottom of the river better than in land fills?

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yeah I've used them before. Mostly on bank poles "ditty poles" though.
    If you are really looking for the perfect disposable weight try tying string around a rock. Read about it on the BOC.
    best to ya
    just

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use plugs some.Was on a trip to the Texas coast about 20 years ago and one place I stopped that was what everyone was using.Is a spark plug left in the water any worse than lead? If we use then should clean them up before use,something I haven't been doing but will start as of now.
    Jake

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive been using tem for years when i was snagging spoonbills.if you throw them on the bank its liter if in the water its structure.:roll_eyes:

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Used them when I was a kid years ago.
    Bill

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have seen this many of times usually from the older folks(dads age). I think he even suggested it to me once a while back. I guess the extremly casual angler might pick some of these up to fish with. lol

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Used them when I was a Kid. Couldn't afford lead weights.:smile2:

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used as a kid also, along with nuts, bolts, rocks or whatever I coud find to weight my line.

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I started using sparkplugs in 1962 while fishing spillways,the only problem is years ago the sparkplugs were a lot larger than they are now so it takes more plugs to hold down your bait in fast water.A few years ago they drained that spillway for repairs and I saw a lot of sparkplugs on the bottom and they were each just a solid mass of rust.