New way to rig a jug

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by KAW RIVER KILLER, Jul 30, 2009.

1. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I wanted a way to run a line in an open stretch of a creek that had no snags or structure to tie off on, so this is what I came up with. I had some success with this weekend. I though of it on my own, but I'm sure it has been done by others.

Run 1' to 1.5' cord from a 5lbs weight (I used one from a bench weight set) to a three-way swivel. Now run a cord of the same length from another eye of the swivel and tie your hook to it. Run another cord from the last eye to your jug. The length on this line is going to very depending on how deep the stretch is that you are fishing. I add about an extra foot for every 4' deep I am fishing. Be sure and use a BIG jug, a gallon or better, that can float your weight and handle some abuse.

I ran these jugs about 30 ft down stream from a snag I know they like to feed around baited with 6" live bluegill. Two jugs caught two 15+ lb flatheads after sitting for a couple hours. Both fish ran down stream quite a ways. My only concern is that they might drag it into a deep hole, but I think I might add a yo-yo just below the jug to keep it floating if it runs into deeper water.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    You set your jug downstream of the snag?
    I kinda thought that fish normally headed upstream from their "bed" when going on the prowl.

Probably both??

Q

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Garen sounds like u got you a system there ,i know i have seen on here where some people ,put a second small float attached to the main float incase it got pulle d into deep water

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Garen thanks for sharing your idea. Sounds good and yet simple to rig.

5. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Sounds like a good idea, might have to give it a try.

6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    5 lbs? Holy shnikeys! How big of a jug do you need to float THAT? :eek:oooh:

7. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    The principal is that the weight rests on the bottom and the jug floats down stream and keeps the line taught(sp?)

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds good to me. Thanks for sharing

9. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Thanks very much for sharing. I'm trying to learn more about juglines, and every bit helps

10. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, I get it now.

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    thanks for sharing your idea