new way to make liver stay on hook better

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by switchback, Jul 20, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I read in a magazine you take a tub of livers dump them into the bottom of your sink. THen cut them into the size of pieces that you like to use maybe even a little bigger because they shrink some. Put them back in tub as you get them cut. When all livers are back in tub put vanilla extract in tub till you see it coming up the sides, when done there cover the top with a really heavy dose of brown sugar. The vanilla not only gives scent but makes them tough it dont matter if you freeze immedialty or not but its better to let sit in fridge for a couple of hours to soak. I will warn you that they smell like fresh cookies and make you hungry

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota

I'm getting hungry just as I read this.:wink:

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    LOL, fresh cookies :wink:

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good thing i dont fish with gizzards or ide be big as a house. already big as a shed.:roll_eyes:

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm....raw liver and cookies

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I guess the question remains, can you catch fish with these cookies??

Well have you tried this recipe? Let us know how it works

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yeah i have used many times it out fishes regular liver especially later in the year when fish start geting finicky because they have ate enough liver to stock kfc for a few years, once you notice that they seem to slow on regular throw some flavors at em . I use this one and theres one i used a few times with garlic in it but hey i dont remember how i did that one because when it comes right down to it smelling like cookies always wins over garlic in my book

8. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Thanks for the tip.

9. doodlebug188

doodlebug188 New Member

State:
    ga.
    a friend of mine said he took a piece of panty hose & cut a small square & put his livers in it & tied the end then put it on a hook he says it works. i guess it just to sexy them cats just cant pass it up. :crazy:

10. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    I like using livers for bait myself, thanks for the tip Nathan. I am gonna give this one a shot. We will see what happens.

11. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    for the tip. I will be trying this one myself. Probably off the dock at work.:smile2:

12. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have a batch of this brewing right now for tonight. I'll let you know how it works.
    Thanks Nate

13. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thanks for the tip. Sounds better than what I have been trying!

14. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Thanks for the new tip Nathan. Will be sure to give this a try during my next outting.
    I know for a fact vanilla works. A couple of old timer's turned me on to this about 15 years ago. They were using it to catch carp but i found out that the channels love it.
    Mix maple syrup and vanilla extract in a small jar, make a standard dough ball and place it on your hook. Then just hold your line n dunk it in the mixture a few times and throw it out. The channels will find it with no problem...Worked so well we caught we caught the same fish 2 days in a row; guess he had a sweet tooth...

15. katslayer86

katslayer86 New Member

State:
    florida
    hmm has anyone tries this method? and have yall had any luck?

16. bigdaddy83

bigdaddy83 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    My brother-in-law and I tried shrimp soaked in vanilla extract and a batch soaked in garlic extract. Had a few nibbles but couldn't seem to hook any cats. I will be trying the liver cookies though.

17. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Nearly every time I go fishing I will have some shrimp soaked in vanilla. The cats love here.

18. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    sounds like a good idea . I havent used liver in along time .

19. Haftafish8780

Haftafish8780 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Another really good way I have found to make livers stay on the hook better and put out more scent is to take a large coffee can and pour about a pint of drained chicken livers in it and 2 to 3 cups of garlic salt in it and mix them well then put the top on the can and let the livers cure for a few days. Do this away from you house because they can smell pretty strong. After a few days they should be about the consistancey of beef jerkey and they will stay on the hook and will bring in the catfish

20. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i use the same approach, but instead use spawn netting. it's usually used to tie egg sacks for erie steelhead.