New Watercraft Regs For Ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Jun 30, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Just received this info and thought it might help a few .. Some new regs for watercraft .... Note: New HP regs for Seneca Lake and Tappan Lakes ... What is this for, Aircraft Carriers ??????

Garry- :eek:oooh::cool2:

Horsepower and Other Law Changes

Horsepower limit at Pymatuning raised to 20HP.

The June 12 signing of Senate Bill 271 by Ohio Governor Ted Strickland immediately increased the horsepower limit to 20HP for boats operating on Pymatuning Reservoir. Previously the horsepower limit was set at 10HP.
    20HP was chosen because typical boat motors are manufactured at 9.9, 15, 18, and 20 horsepower. The higher limit opens the lake to more boaters and anglers as well as allows for better boat control during windy conditions, which are prevalent on the 14,650-acre lake.
    Because the lake straddles the state line, both Pennsylvania and Ohio law had to be in agreement before any law changes could take effect. Pennsylvania increased the limit in 2004.

Horsepower increased to 399HP at Seneca and Tappan lakes.

After a public hearing in May, ODNR and the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District reached an interim agreement to increase the horsepower from 299HP to 399HP on Tappan and Seneca lakes on May 21. This rule change takes effect July 1.

Division of Wildlife changing horsepower limits and motor restrictions to increase fishing opportunities.

Effective July 1, four lakes owned by the ODNR Division of Wildlife with 10HP limits will allow access to motorboats greater than 10HP as long as they operate at idle speed: Knox Lake in Knox County, Lake La Su An in Williams County, Oxbow Lake in Defiance County, and Rupert Lake in Vinton County.
    Additionally, the "electric motor only" designation at Zeppernick Lake in Trumbull County and Greenfield and Rockmill lakes in Fairfield County will be removed to allow boats with gas-powered motors as long as the motor isn't greater than 10HP.

Boating Law Changes Effective Immediately

Senate Bill 271 (see info on Pymatuning, above) included changes to some Ohio boating laws to help enhance boating safety and enjoyment:
    • A “slow tow” provision will permit boaters to tow ski tubes and other towables at a slow pace in areas outside of the designated speed and ski zones, primarily in the interest of safety. This provision will create additional recreational opportunities for individuals who are physically unable to manage or do not desire the higher speeds of open zones.
    • Establishes “failure to control” as an enforceable boat operator rule. Many accidents occur as the result of operator inexperience or the forces of nature. These are not the result of a “rules of the road” violation or caused by reckless operation, but may result in minor property damage or injury. Examples of situations encompassed by the “failure to control” law include: over-compensation in strong winds or currents, loss of steerage on jet boats when the throttle is released, and attempting to maneuver under sail power alone through congested areas like marinas.
    • Creates a “no wake zone” around boats actively engaged in public service, including law enforcement, fireboats, search and rescue teams, dredges and towing services. This is similar to the law requiring motorists to proceed with caution and change lanes or slow down when approaching a stationary public safety vehicle displaying an emergency light.
    • Approves the children's swimsuit-style life jacket as an acceptable lifejacket for children who are required by law to wear a lifejacket (children under 10 on boats under 18 feet, in Ohio). The swimsuit-style personal flotation device was approved by the U.S. Coast Guard several years ago and is designed to be more comfortable and better suited to the activities of children participating in family boating. These PFDs are considered to be "Type V" lifejackets, which the old Ohio law did not explicitly allow for children.
    • Allows for the transfer of electronic titles for outboard motors. This provision reduces the time it takes to transfer titles by preventing the need for a watercraft dealer to first issue a physical title.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for this post. I was not aware that the swimsuit style lifevest were unapproved previously. Thanks again...............................I wonder if I can put 399 HP on my jon boat??:tounge_out:

3. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Good info to know about. I agree, why would you need 399 H.P. to increase fishing opportunities? increase skiing opportunities maybe.

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I can see NO EARTHLY reason to have HP that high even for skiers .... unless you are towing a SPERM WHALE! .... It is just like these nutty bass tournament fishermen that think they need a 225 HP motor ...... Disgusting to me!!! :confused2: Garry-

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    399 hp.wouldn't ya like to open that up at least once,though,lol

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Glad they moved it up to 399 hp. Now I can finally take my modified rubber raft out there. :roll_eyes:

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They just upped it on those lakes because the ODNR couldn't catch the 299's lol:smile2:

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I opened that up, I'd probably be changing my shorts!:eek:oooh: On the other hand, I could just not wear any and pitty the boat following me....lol:smile2::wink:

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    lmao,thats just too much info....