New Watercraft bill just passed

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by RivrLivn, May 16, 2008.

1. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
  2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The act prohibits vessels from exhibiting spotlights, docking lights, or other nonprescribed lights between sunset and sunrise. The act provides that nothing in this specific section shall prohibit the use of additional specialized lighting used in the act of sport fishing (Section 306.100).

This act prohibits persons from positioning their vessels in a manner to obstruct or impede traffic on the waters of this state. Under current law, this prohibition only applies to lakes (Section 306.221).

So we can't use spotlights at night (I'm assuming this applies to barges as well). There's a great way to enhance safety........:eek:oooh:

And the second part looks like we can't anchor in the channel to fish? That's kind of crazy, although it makes sense, I guess. Hate for the 2 barges a summer that go down the MO to be inconvenienced:smile2:

Oh, and removing the 90 person cap on the number of water patrol staff looks like we might actually see water patrol on the MO river now:smile2:

I've seen legislation I'm happier with.........Although the penalties for BUI look like a smart move.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    IF you read the whole bill, it "clairifies that specialized lighting may be used in the act of sportfishing."

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Right, I read that, but it specifically prohibits spotlights - I read the part you're referring to as the little "fish attractor" lights that the crappie guys use to shine the water. I guess I could always say that spotting a million candlepower spotlight on the bank while underway is how I attract catfish:smile2:

5. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

I was thinking more on the lines of bowfisherman using a boat rigged with spotlights.

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    It prohibits "continuous" use of a spotlight.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I always though that was illegal already??????????

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    The act modifies the penalties for operating a vessel while intoxicated by making the offense a Class B misdemeanor regardless of the number of convictions (removes the enhancement of penalties for subsequent convictions). Under current law, it is a Class A misdemeanor for a 2nd boating while intoxicated conviction and a Class D felony for a 3rd or subsequent conviction (Section 306.111).

So a person who is Habitually drunk driving a boat will just get his wrist slapped no matter how many times He is caught????

I think the old law was better with the penalty increasing with every additional offense

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    So now we are back to barges again. What about them? They shine from day marker lock and hold then shine on the next day marker lock and lhold. They also shine the bank when on a tight corner that has a narrow channel.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO

I saw 2 right in a row last night about 1/4 mile apart. One sand barge and one coast guard buoy barge.

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Good deal, maybe the CG will get the bouys back where they go instead of all along the bank and 3/4 submerged:smile2: Haven't seen a freight barge yet this year, just the local sand barges and what looked like some kind of repair barge.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I was scratching my head on that one too, but a few paragraphs down it says:

" This act creates the classifications of "prior", "persistent", "aggravated", and "chronic" for repeat intoxication-related boating offenders. The penalties for each classification of offenders increase respectively based on the number and severity of the offenses committed. The penalties in this section treat persons found guilty of or pleading guilty to intoxication-related boating offenses in a similar manner as persons pleading guilty to or found guilty to intoxication-related traffic offenses. Under the act, no court shall suspend the imposition of sentence for prior, persistent, aggravated, or chronic offenders or allow a person to pay a fine instead of serving a prison term. The act also sets a minimum amount of time that such offenders must serve before being eligible for probation or parole. The act also outlines the requirements that must be met to prove a person is a prior, persistent, aggravated, or chronic offender and provides the same court procedure for intoxication-related boating cases as for intoxication-related traffic offender cases (Section 306.118)"

13. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would like to put this STEPHEN J. WITTE that wrote this bill out on the Mississippi River at night and see how he feels about us using lights to navigate. The way I look at it and its my opionon... I will use my spot light as much as i have to maintain my own saftey for the boat and who is in it.

During certain times of the year, Dont they shut down the barge traffic on the MO river? THere should be a provision for this so we can anchor out in the channels during this time then wouldnt you all think?

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You guys need to read the actual text of the bill before you all come unglued...

The bill says CONTINUOUS spotlights or docking lights cannot be used. No big deal. Any idiot that runs a spotlight full-time should be beaten unconscious by his fellow boaters.

The Mississippi and Missouri Rivers are federal waterways, governed by Coast Guard regulations; I'm pretty sure this state bill won't apply to those rivers, and especially not to operators of commercial vessels. So don't get all worked up about whether or not the barges are going to be using lights.

The rule about not postioning a vessel to obstruct the normal flow of traffic has always been in place; it's now being expanded to include all waters of the state, not just lakes.

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    They have a season where they maintain the water flow and the buoy's for barges yes. Do they still run the river outside that time. Yes.

16. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I work for a barge line, and I can tell you that we don't use the Missouri river like we did in the past. We will still go up it from time to time, but since we can't run full size tows, or load up the barges to capacity based on the draft restrictions of the river, we tend to avoid it for the most part. In other words, small tows, and half loaded barges aren't really worth the efforts required to navigate it. Many (most) other companies have taken the same stance we have, so that's why you don't see many barges running that river anymore.

...and if there is a spotlight law coming down the pike for Commercial barge lines, I haven't heard of it here in the office. Being that safety is a major concern in the barging industry, I would think that news like would be very big news.

17. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The act prohibits vessels from exhibiting spotlights, docking lights, or other nonprescribed lights between sunset and sunrise. The act provides that nothing in this specific section shall prohibit the use of additional specialized lighting used in the act of sport fishing (Section 306.100).

Let's clarify this abit more... What if I am out there not sport fishing for catfish but catching bait is more what I am concerned about which does not fall under the "act of sport fishing" clause? There are allot of times that I will go out and not even get a pole wet just checking out the rivers. Mainly prefishing where I will not use hooks either but paper clips or snap swivels as not to give the fish sore mouth.

Thanks..

18. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Vince, you haven't even given them a SORE MOUTH using HOOKS in the year that I have been on here! LOL!!!!!:smile2::roll_eyes:

19. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri

I wouldnt tell you if I were out fishing for even bait for that matter!!!! :wink: :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: There are some that wont tell still .. Like ummm Bob.. :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

20. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You also talked about water patrol agents on the MO river. I personally know the one for the KC area, he covers from 291 to the IA line. That is a lot of river for one person to cover. He now has a drug dog with him and is in the process of getting it trained. I actually got stopped by a water patrol agent fishing a Waverly tournament one year. They are out there but they have large stretches of river to cover. If you Meet Fred sometime, he is probably just stopping to check on how the fishing is. He spends more time around St. Joe and Big lake because he catches more people up that way doing things wrong than any where. He said you would be surprised by the number of people that think it is alright to smoke dope while fishing.