New Water Advice

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jailcop2, Jul 24, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Hi all , just found a new place to fish on the Missouri River ,here in S/W Iowa .Need some help on what to look for . It is on a gradual outside bend with rip rap all along it. There are wing dams across on the Nebraska side , but I'll be fishing from the bank . Not sure of the water depth , but there is a boat dock near by . Any help would be appriciated.
    Thanks
    Brian

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    sounds prime... fish along the wingdams both up and down stream sides with shad, crayfish, live bluegils and see what you get...

3. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    If you are limited to this outside bend only, you probably have the channel up tight to your bank. Try to identify anything that might create a break in the current, large boulders or logs that run deep where a fish could get behind something, or perhaps an undercut at the bottom of the rip rap. I'm sure it will be difficult to find these from the bank. If you have access up or down stream there will be wing dykes above and below the bend where the channel starts turning out from the bank. Wish I could be more help. Good luck

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    look for rough water on the surfice the current usually tends to change with structure on the bottom fish as close to the up river edge of that riffle as you can, fish will also hide in that break water awaiting bait washed in ,look for rocks on the bank with mud banks down river that are steep these are usually eddies they'll be deeper holes were fish will also lay in waiting an eddie is in case you dont know a whirlpool spinning water will wash out the hole.hope iv helped good luck

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for the help guy's , if all goes well I'll give it a try this weekend .
    Brian