New vs. vintage Penn 309-209 reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by chuck luck, Jun 6, 2006.

1. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    Has anyone compared the new and vintage Penns. Parts quality, durability...etc. Thanks, Chuck.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Chuck I will take a older penn over a new one any day. The newer one are great reels don't get me wrong but the older ones were built with pride and the newer ones is just a job to most people. As far as the parts go the only down fall is the worm gears on most (99%) of the level winds is plastic and that will be the first thing to go.

3. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chuck,

The sideplates on the older Penn Peer reels are slightly different in that there is a built-in cavity on the left sidepldate to hold an extra pawl for the levelwind. The markings (descriptive writing) is different on the older 209 and 309 reels also. Having both old and new styles of the 209's it is just a matter of personal preference as to which is favored, and I prefer the vintage 209's with the maroon sideplates.

As far as I know there is probably really not a nickels worth of difference when it comes right down to it. Try one, and check it out........the quality and durability speaks for itself. They are some tough awesome reels and great tools for the "big ones". You just might become a PENN fan club member.:smile2:

Good Luck!

Larry (polecatter)

4. jmon

jmon New Member

State:
    il
    have two old ones (one red one black) one new 209 (made in china) time will tell

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have a 209 and a 309 that are old(red case) and I have one newer 209(black case)and I know the old reels are better.The old 209 will cast longer and the clicker is better than the newer one.