New visitors to my stand

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Txbluecatman, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Okay fellow's here it goes. I got these two bucks that have started to show up at the blind during legal shooting time. The 7 point looks a little young still. What are your thoughts on the big 9 point. Which one should be taken off the place, from a management perspective? In the county I hunt we are only allowed one spike and one buck over 13" spread.

PS: sorry for the bad game cam angle I had a coon get on top of the turkey feeder and move it around.

Attached Files:

2. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Heres one more pic for you

Attached Files:

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you can talk your hunting buddies into not shooting them,, I'd crack some does and let both walk for another year or two.

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    The 7pt looks wide enough, but man, the length on the 9pts G-2's & G-3's is pretty impressive.
    Glad I don't have to make that decision!!!:wink:

5. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Its hard to judge a management buck without getting a full body pic with color. (If you are looking at age and antler grow) So I will pass on givin ya my opinion on this one. They are both nice lookin' bucks though!! Enjoy your hunts!

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great looking deer, go with the 9 and let the other grow

7. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would let them both grow another year, and see what they do next year! Nice Deer Though!

8. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wouldn't shoot either one. Shoot some does!

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    For management leave them both till another year unles you have neighbors that will kill them if they get a chance. Can't eat those horns. Both look like they have some good possabilities of growing bigger.

10. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'll tell the truth I'd shoot the bigger one for sure if I saw it. And if it didn't come out before the season was about over I'd shoot the other one.

My luck if I let those bucks walk they would get hit by a car next summer.
    Or they'd walk through the wrong pastor and old farmer brown would shoot them.:smile2:

11. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I would let them walk, But it is easy to make that decision at the computer:wink:

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree -- it is very easy to make a decision over the computer or from a trail cam pic. I myself have said one thing from a pic and did different in the woods.
    but you do have factors at hand.
    -your own judgement !!
    -other hunting pressure
    -you time/ ability to hunt

Myself I probably would harvest the 9 pointer but thats me. but I also know that no matter how long you boil those horns they dont even get chewy:sad2:

13. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Let them both go. Give them another year or two and you'll be amazed what happens to them.

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Management wise, if i could control who shot what,,,I would let both walk. I think they are 21/2 year old bucks. If i just needed meat, i would pick a barren doe and kill the bucks next year.

15. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    More pics of the 7 point

Attached Files:

16. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Im shooting one or the other. Where I hunt if I didnt they wouldnt be there next year. If I hunted a area where I could let them walk I would. BTW they are nice bucks! Thanks for sharing!

17. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    heres another pic of the 9 point. I think Im gonna harvest the 9 point before the neighbors do, but I'll let the 7 grow a bit. I was able to harvest a couple of doe's during archery season for the freezer. Now I'm looking at maybe taking a buck. Thanks for the replies.

Attached Files:

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Meat shoot doe's. If you want them to get bigger wait . As far as production of offspring you are helping others more than yourself (admirable) . Here is why ... The offspring that are bucks will be pushed out by the mother . It has been documented that young bucks will relocate as close as a mile and have been radio collared to move as far as 60 miles !!! If I can find the article again I will post it. But.... if you are hunting an enclosure of any sorts they won't go any further than that . I am not suggesting anyone does or does not hunt them so take the enclosure thing with a grain of salt not rustling any feathers .

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    None of those bucks are old enough to be culled. I would guess none are over 3 1/2 years-old; most likely they are only 2 1/2.

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would shoot the first one in range. no does here and forks or better,five day season,Its a no brainer here.:cool2: