New Virginia Fishing regulations for 2006

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by rebcatman, Feb 14, 2006.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    There is one that should be an interest to all of us.

New statewide creel/length limit for blue catfish will be as follows: "only 1 blue catfish per day longer than 32 inches." Ouch.... Sure larger fish may not be the best for eating but I think that is a bit extreme. I wonder if the population of blues have been lowered so much the State had not choice to do this, or is this a preemptive strike to prevent over fishing of blues.

The following is a summary of fishing related regulation changes approved by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries that either already are in effect or will become effective July 1, 2006. All of these changes are or will be different from what is published in the July 2005-June 2006 Freshwater Fishing Regulation Booklet and different from the PDF version of this booklet that is on this Web site.

PLEASE NOTE: most approved changes will not occur until July 1, 2006, so be sure to pay special attention to the effective dates below:

Effective December 1, 2005
    Nongame Fish, Reptiles, Amphibians, and Aquatic Invertebrates
    Exotics added to the list of species that cannot be imported, possessed, or sold in Virginia: New Zealand mudsnail, quagga mussel, rusty crayfish, and Australian crayfish.
    Snakehead fish caught from Virginia waters can now be possessed provided they are immediately killed and reported to DGIF.

Effective January 1, 2006
    Licenses/Fees
    The resident freshwater and saltwater combined license is now $24.50 instead of $19.50, and the non-resident fresh and salt combined license is $42.50 instead of $37.50.
    Will Become Effective July 1, 2006
    Game/Sport Fish Regulations
    Length limits for bass will no longer exist for Lake Anna, Beaverdam Creek Reservoir (Loudoun County), Chesdin Reservoir, Occoquon Reservoir, and Appomattox River (only the statewide 5 per day will apply).
    James River upstream from the 14th Street Bridge in Richmond will have the "no bass 14 to 22 inches, only 1 bass per day longer than 22 inches" regulation.
    New River from Fields Dam (Grayson County) downstream to West Virginia will have a "no bass 14 to 20 inches, only 1 bass per day longer than 20 inches" regulation (does not include Claytor Lake) and a "1 musky per day, no musky less that 42 inches" regulation (does include Claytor Lake).
    Buggs Island (Kerr) Reservoir including upstream sections of Staunton and Dan rivers will have new striped bass split-season creel and length limits: Oct 1 – May 31, 2 per day, no striped bass less than 26 inches; June 1 – Sept. 30, 4 per day, no length limit.
    Smith Mountain Lake including an upstream section of Roanoke River will have new striped bass split-season creel and length limits: 2 per day all year; Oct 1 – May 31, no striped bass 26 to 36 inches; June 1 - Sept. 30, no length limit.
    Philpott Reservoir will be added to reservoirs that have a "no walleye less than 18 inches" regulation.
    New statewide creel/length limit for blue catfish will be as follows: "only 1 blue catfish per day longer than 32 inches."
    Meherrin River, Nottoway River, Blackwater River (Chowan Drainage), North Landing and Northwest Rivers, and their tributaries plus Back Bay will have new regulations as follows: striped bass - 2 per day, no striped bass less than 18 inches; American and hickory shad – 10 per day in the aggregate, no length limit; anadromous alewife and blueback herring – no daily or length limits.

Trout Regulations
    There will no longer be a special 16-inch minimum trout size limit on Philpott Reservoir.
    Cabin Creek in Grayson County will be added to the list of "9-inch minimum size, only artificial lures with single hooks" special trout regulation streams.
    Delayed Harvest Stream changes: will expand the Chestnut Creek (Carroll County) section to 11.4 miles and add a new 2.7-mile section of Peak Creek (Pulaski County).

Nongame Fish, Reptiles, Amphibians, and Aquatic Invertebrates
    Candy darter, eastern hellbender, diamondback terrapin, and spotted turtle will not be legal to collect or possess.
    Catfish, shad and herring creel (possession) limits will all be included in the Creel and Length Limit Table in the Regulation Booklet.
    Salamanders used as bait will have to be less than 6 inches long.
    Crayfish will no longer be legal to buy or sell (the sale of salamanders and madtoms is currently prohibited).
    Nottoway River will be added to the waters where it is unlawful to take mussels for any purpose.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    When does the one big fish per day rule start?

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    From the Virginia Rules this will take place Jan/1st 2006, it looks as commercial fishing for blue cats is not going to happen anymore and any tournaments will be 1 fish only now alot of places thats the way the do it but I have been seeing alot of other places going to three fish limit for tournaments.

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    The new rule goes into effect in July, along with the other changes to the game and fish regulations.

5. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    All of tournaments will still be 2 fish. As long as you have more than one person per boat. If you're alone then you are at a serious disadvantage. Most commercial fisherman are targeting fish in the 2-4lb range. The guys who are really going to be effected by this are the recreational trot line fisherman who are targeting large fish and keeping everything they catch.

6. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Dont think this will affect the com guys. Good to protect the big uns from some of the guys that keep and kill just to show off a mess of big cats

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    seems like Virgina trying to protect the big catfish!..Good job!

8. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm glad to see it myself.It can't do nothing but get even better 1bigblue

9. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    thats iight im gonna tear um up

10. Rainbo

Rainbo New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'd like to see the whole River catch and release myself. I see no need to keep anything. I know the tourney guys won't like this and I understand all the arguments. You see the same one's on all the fishing boards. The bottom line for me is I rather someone have a chance at cathcing that fish again and the quicker the fish are released the better chance fro survival.

11. Gaelan

Gaelan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have not seen a really good fish year in the New River for quite some time.
    Last year they replaced some spillway gates and took the Byllesby Dam Reservoir from 300 feet across down to 30 feet. You had to walk 150 feet past the boat dock to get to the waters edge.... I got to walk half a mile through the old river bed to get to my fishing spot usually needed a boat

I'd like to see alot of fish on the new river be thrown back. I can remember one good day in the last 4 years I think I caught one of everything in Carroll County.....I Have yet to see another day like that.

It was last fall when I took my daughter down there to fish I have yet to go back and see if they are through with the work and the water retun

12. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    we got to give our kids a chance to haul in a big one someday too

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I'm Glad VA Is Putting This New Limit On Big Catfish, We've Got It Here In TN And I'm Glad. We Need To Protect Those Big Catfish, Take A Few Small Ones If You Want To Eat Them.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm in favor of more strict limits in most places, especially slots on the best breeding sizes. However, after fishing and diving in places like the upper James the last 20 years, I've seen the Flatheads have a devestating effect on the smaller species. The Smallmouth population has been hit hard and it's getting real hard to catch enough Bream for a meal up here.

15. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    I can tell you first hand from being around and doing alittle back work for game and inland. that noone has seen anything yet.

Take the rules and regs above as a sample of whats to come in 2007 and whats going to be laid out on the tables at game and inland.

There are also going to be more made as the 2006 year moves along thats going to be set and enforced strongly.

And yes the limit on the blues was set in place to increase the numbers of the blues in virginia. they did notice a rising keeping rate of blues and to stop a big drop of the numbers of blues to pop up in virginia this rule was put in place.

Should be a interesting year.