New/unique Techniques, who has 'em are they working.

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZflats, Jun 13, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Just to get the creative juices flowing.

Drift fishing flats with gills or water dogs to find fish. Bartlett has a lot of wide open flats with minimal foliage on the bottom. Maybe bottom bouncers in front of the live bait?

* I bought a down rigger for my toon last year with the hopes to troll fish at night the shallow flats at Bartlett.. This has turned into a $200 lantern holder.

~ I have recently started using cut carp on a tight line.
    ~ Moving to find the fish, not waiting for them.
    ~ Fish with no light, no lanterns, no running lights. (my catch rate has increased.)

2. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I have thought the same thing as I have read about drift fishing. I would agree that Bartlett would be a good place to try it as you could get a long drift with little problems of hang ups.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    In-Fisherman had a writeup on 2 guys that did that. It was a few years back. And they stated that it worked great for them
    If i run up on that issue I will try to let you know.
    Pete

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I subscribe to the old "big bait big fish" theory and love to use cut carp for that reason. I have also tried Phil Kings vertical trolling method and found it effective. Most days I drift using the tried and true Carolina style rig but I do feel my approach is a bit different. I fish an older lake (Lake of the Ozarks) that is mostly devoid of traditional cover in the upper end. I fish a lot of flats and gentle sloping ledges with a lot of success. Cover is still king it just comes in different forms on different waters. I try new things and new areas and techniques frequently but so far I haven't been able to "reinvent the wheel". Good luck and See ya on the water!

5. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Got a question on the cut carp method. When you say you are using cut carp is it a fillet or do you just cut a cross section out and use that. A lot of the carp we catch when bait fishing are too big to use live and we have talked about using them as cut bait and I was just wondering how you all cut them up.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have found a method that works great for me this year. I have had no luck at all with my methods I have used in the past. I go to the nearest Wally World or Kroger and purchase them. That is the only way I can get them this year. I have had no luck, good luck on the water. Can't wait to read all these responses.

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Tom,
    I cut a cross section of a larger carp about 1" x 3" . Used a Kale hook and just hooked in about 1/4" to leave most of the hook exposed. Tight line, no bait runner.

8. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks Andy. We'll give it a try next trip.

9. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Guys,

I just wanted to share with you that this is what I love about the BOC...guys sharing ideas of what they find that works. I have learned more from this website than anywhere else on good ways to catfish.

AZFlats...I have never tried to use cut carp as bait. As Tom had mentioned, so many times I get carp that are too large to use live. I will have to try this and see how it works.

Martinman

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Word.
    It is exciting to find things that work.
    ~ I wish you all the best success on the water.
    Take care!

11. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    A method I've wanted to try but keep forgeting about is a regular sliding sinker rig but have a float attached at the end so when you cast out the float will keep the gill suspended above the bottom. This would require a fairly long rig because a tri-swivel would be needed with the float being at the bottom link and the gill being at the side link of the swivel. The fish would struggle to reach the bottom but the float would keep it off the bottom. I would think this would be a better visiual and possibly put a better vibration out with the fish struggling to reach cover.

12. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tried this method last Sat. for the first time. Caught 5 channels and one blue. Experimented and found an 8" leader with small float 4" from 'crawler worked best for channels. Used an 18" leader for live 'gill with float about a foot down. Caught one 4lb channel and 8lb blue. I was in a local State lake.

13. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have seen that method discussed in print a few times. Problem I forsee is that the gill would spin circles around your main line and cause the slide rig to get discombobulated and in knots. I have had that problem when fishing close to or under the boat.

I will try it anyways this weekend, maybe with some cut carp. Great tip!
    C~YA!

14. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I don't know if you have tried a spreader bar before but it might help for just that situation, also a spreader bar can be used for a double hook rig with carp chunks. The top side rig can be used with extra heavy mono and a somewhat shorter leader to ensure it will flare out to the side and the one going straight down can be 2 foot or so, all under the regular sliding sinker rig. I've used these spreader bars in saltwater and they rarely get tangled or twisted because they have swivels on each point. I agree you can never under estimate a POed gill though. The spreader bars are light but very strong and the side bar is only about 3 inches but with a stiff short leader it really sticks out to the side. I'm thinking 2 chunks of carp for more sent I will try this let you know how it goes. A double header with the flats, yea....oh no that would be trouble.

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Terry,
    ~ Can you post a picture with the speader bar you are refering to. I keep thinking of the metal "T" shape of a crappie rig.

Great Idea!
    ** See you on the water.

16. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Carp head~ Carp Tails~ Carp body cavity~ Caught flathead on all last weekend.

Tried the method of putting a bobber above the bait, (cut carp) on a standard slide sinker rig.
    * It works! (Got one run)

~ No cats for the Wife yet. Thinking of trying circle hooks for her since she has problems setting the hook hard enough.

~A

17. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I switched out this year to #8 circles and my hook up rate is gone way up. I am so used to letting the baitrunner do its thing that I seem to forget to set it tight so that the pole will load up and the circle will do its job.