Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Academy had some 8' spinning and casting in the new models yesterday. I looked at the casting and like it much better than the old model.
I seen online spinning 8 foot at Academy for $48.
A much better price.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I still haven't seen one of tge new models in the wild...I'd really like to give the 9ft casting a wiggle before buying it 😂

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
The other day I got finally got a couple of the new Ugly Stik Catfish Special rods so they are indeed a real thing. They look really cool, feel just like an Ugly Stik Catfish and I am sure they will stand up and perform about the same as well. They do look very sharp with the 6500 Catfish Special Abu reel. I will be catfishing in a couple weeks when the northern river warms up.

View attachment 323721 View attachment 323721 View attachment 323722
Whoaaaa! Those look Good!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Only problem is that of any upgrade I would have liked to see is them make the 7’ or 8’ rods in the 15-40lb range. I would say that is the range that most blue and flathead guys would be looking for, myself included.

There’s a lot of nice Channel Cat options there, and then some long casting options, but none for that heavier catfish fishing.

It would be nice to see them come out with that.
But I guarantee you this, I can bet that they didn’t do it because they don’t want to conflict with the tiger Rod sales.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm new to the group and I'm new to catfishing so excuse my ignorance. But I just bought 3 of these rods to pair with some 6500 c3's that I picked up. I was hesitant about the medium heavy rods because I'm wanting to target some big blues and flat heads, but I figured if they were too light I'd just use them while on trips targeting medium sized fish. Do yall reckon these rods will hold up to bigger blues? Also, I spooled them with 65lb braid with a mono leader. Is this gonna work for me or should I have ran lighter line? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Line wise, you are spooled about right. Some go up to 80 for the braid but 65 should do fine. The leader can depend. You didn't mention strength but I generally run 50# mono. If you are in an area that has a lot of rock or logs and is tough on line, you could go up on the leader size.

I have not used the Ugly Stik Medium heavy rods but generally use Medium heavy Rippin Lips and TWC rods. They should handle about anything you hook into. If you are fishing very heavy current you might want Heavy rods but for the most part, Medium Heavy are fine.

tight lines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Line wise, you are spooled about right. Some go up to 80 for the braid but 65 should do fine. The leader can depend. You didn't mention strength but I generally run 50# mono. If you are in an area that has a lot of rock or logs and is tough on line, you could go up on the leader size.

I have not used the Ugly Stik Medium heavy rods but generally use Medium heavy Rippin Lips and TWC rods. They should handle about anything you hook into. If you are fishing very heavy current you might want Heavy rods but for the most part, Medium Heavy are fine.

tight lines.
I left that out. 50 lb big game is what I used for leader and about 15 yards of backing.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Like D said, your good to go. At least off to a good start. A good sharp hook is also important.

tight lines

21 - 30 of 30 Posts