New Turtler!

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by JMarrs328, Feb 13, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've never gone turtling before. The lake that I sometimes fish in the summer is full of big turtles. All that i need to know is how to catch them! Like, what kind of bait, rig(I'm guessing you don't use a fishing pole), etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sure you can use a pole man. i have caught plenty by accident on my pole. best bet would probly be a trot line or linb line though. use something tuff for bait like chicken skin. trebles hooks mite get you hooked up more too.

good luck

3. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Well get yourself a 7/0 thru 9/0 treble hook, a stoutline, 2 one gallon jugs with a 8lb. to 15lb. weight on bottom of line, some fish or chicken neck for bait and your ready to rock and roll. Try putting a 20lb. plus snapper in the boat with you and you'll understand the meaning of rock and roll.

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    After you get the turtle into the boat, then what do you do?!?!? Also, is it dangerous to have such a large animal in the boat? I think they call them snapping turtles for a reason, don't they?

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i would guess chicken livers. Man i catch for turtles than i do catfish on them:p

6. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    How do you clean and cook a turtle???? I ate them a long time ago and they tasted great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

7. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa

8. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    i've turtle fished for several years. the best bait is german carp. buffalo works pretty good, but it will sour a lot faster than carp. make sure you keep your bait fresh. turtles don't like it rotten. i always change the bait every day.

i use nets most of the time but hook and line works good too. just make sure the turtle has enough slack that he can get a breath of air.

as far as them being dangerous? you had just as well stick your hand in a meat grinder than get bit by a snapper. i am not kidding! respect their bite or you will lose body parts.

good luck and happy turtlin'....

9. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My river is full of huge leatherbacks, some the size of a steering wheel. I catch about as many turtles as I do Cats when I'm using fresh chicken livers. I use a 2/0 hook w/ a steel leader and 8lb. test. I like the smaller line because it makes fighting the big ones that much more of a challenge.

10. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Can you eat those puppies? :confused:

11. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Yeah you can eat them. Type in "how to clean turtles" on a search engine and you will get all kinds of info.

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use turtle lines made from 20ft (or longer if needed) 300lb braided twine, a cast net weight, a 1ft long thick steel leader, and a 1/0 hook. i tie a loop in the end of the twine, run a cast net weight from the other end and once down to the loop i tie a knot right behind it to keep it from moving. i attach the leader tio the loop, and attach hook to end of leader with the snap. throw out as far as you can and attach to a tree root or drive a pole into the bank, or bottom of the pond to attach it to. you can bait with whatever, but i found that pork works best (cheap too!) i leave them overnight and check in the morning.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this is how we used to catch them.

take soup cans and punch a whole in the bottom of them. run a piece of 3' speaker wire through them and wrap the stripped end (about 2-3") around a treble hook. bait it up with liver or what ever and slid it into the can. tie a line (like trot line string) to the other end of the wire and toss out. the turtles will stick thier heads into the can and get caught. this can help with not getting bit.

another great way is to take a milk jug and tie on the handle 3' of speaker wire with a treble wired to it. also tie on the handle several feet of trot line twine. bait and toss out. the turtles will get caught and the jug will wear them out a bit trying to pull it under.

this is how we caught many turtles in the past from ponds.

14. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    Jeremy, that's an ingenious idea. I never woulda thought of that.

15. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for the info guys!!! I'll have to go turtling soon!!

16. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I still have one question though. What happens when you get it in the boat?? Do you kill it then or what? Can you release them if they're small?

17. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    1. Put live turtle in a 55 gal. drum for 7 days, to allow it to empty it's system, it helps with the smell. Keep fresh water in the drum. Scoop out the feces with a net.
    2. Using channel locks, hold him tight by the mouth with neck stretched out. Cut off his head.
    3. Hang him upside down to bleed out for about 30 minutes.
    4. Put him on his back, cut claws and feet off.
    5. Cut skin around shell top and bottom, cut and pull skin away from shell on the front legs until skin is removed.
    6. On the soft shell belly outside edge of shell, cut through soft shell contact points and remove.
    7. Remove guts and innards.
    8. Remove front legs, may need to twist to break the joint.
    9. Cut and peel skin from back legs and neck.
    10. Remove back legs and neck, again twisting to break joints.
    11. Leave meat on bone, but try to remove as much fat as possible.
    12. Wash with cold water, repeat until clean.
    13. Freeze submerged in water.

18. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Use A Slip Rig (bottom Fishing) W/chicken Liver. You'll Need A Lip Grip Unless You Plan On Keeping The Turtles, In Order To Get Your Hooks Back Along W/all Your Fingers.