New turkey hunting technique

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, May 7, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am blessed to live on a property with an abundance of wildlife. This includes wild turkey. I have had em' in the barn-lot with our tame turkeys when we used to have them. Usually spook 3-4 nesting hens every spring while hunting mushrooms, as I did yesterday. This situation is like having a good lookin' wife that cooks good. Your buddies all want to buy her a glass of wine. The same with turkey-they all want to hunt here. I don't hunt them and haven't in the 24 years I have lived here, so I'll let a certain few hunt. These are the kind of guys who have every turkey hunting DVD known to man. They are on 3 turkey internet forums. Have every camo combination imaginable. Have enough face chalk to give a kindergarten school a weeks supply of coloring material. Own box calls, mouth calls, bone calls. They drive their wife and dog insane for a week before season practicing calling. They quit drinking beer 3 days before season cause they don't want to have to take a leak while on stand. They show up to hunt looking like a member of A Special-Ops team ready to invade Iran. Their Mossberg is so camoed up if they dropped it they couldn't find it. They go out and come back with nothin' but excuses. Now I have another buddy who wanted to hunt this year. A complete novice. I tell him where they roost this time of year and how to get there. He shows up to hunt in a pair or Carhuts and a John Deere cap, uncases an 870 Wingmaster a few 2 1/2" shells and heads for the woods. Finds a nice Burr Oak, parks his butt against it and waits. Dawn comes, the turkeys get down off their posts and he waits. He's sitting there picking his nose smoking a cigarette when this braindead, DUMBA$$ jake strolls by in deep thought about becoming a real turkey. My buddy levels on him and rolls him at 25 yards. Walks over picks up the thrashing turkey and gets his hand gashed by one of those little spurs. He comes back to my houseyard, turkey slung over his back grinning like an ape. Throws the turkey in his pick-up and we shoot the fat awhile. As he's leaving he asks me if I know how clean the damn thing! So now I think I'm gonna uncase my 870 next year.

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree, some people take turkey hunting to the extreme! I use my old Marine Corps Camoflage, and my dads old winchester pump. No luck yet, but I can feel it coming.

Aaron

TA2D

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That is one animal I have no desire to hunt. There is no real challenge to it. They are not the sharpest tool in the shed, they travel in herds, they are slow, they make so much noise a blind man could kill one, they can't smell you even when they get down wind, and they stink when you shoot them. The only challenge is in trying to get them to come to where you are, instead of doing what a smart hunter would do.....go to where they are! Besides, they are 59 cents a pound at Kroger, so why bother getting up at 4:00am? I can get up at noon and still have turkey for dinner.

4. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Opinions vary...........like to see you in a foot race with one...LOL !!!
    I could buy a filet of fish at Mickey D's too but it would lose something in the translation.

5. Baker

Baker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    lol i see all challenge in turkey hunting! it is a blast i think because of those eyes. now sitting with a shotgun on your knee and waiting for him to walk to u isnt hard...but stalking in 6in-12in of dry prairie grass and drawing a bow on one without it running is sumthin to brag about. given, there the only bird ive ever heard of that will drown in a rain storm just cuz it keeps its beak in the air to let the water run down its back LOL. opinions vary..and theres mine, ever wanna talk turkeys let me know, ive got lotsa stories.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've killed several turkeys while deer hunting, usually when I'm about to leave the woods. I'm a dedicated bow hunter and can't see spooking deer by shooting at turkeys. I'm a deer fanatic! Last year I got a turkey with my recurve bow and another with my muzzle loader. They were the first I've taken in 7 or 8 years. This area of Virginia is loaded with turkeys. 20 years ago we had a 2 bird a year limit. I think this year it's up to 6 birds. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against turkey hunters; it just ain't my cup of tea! When spring rolls around my thoughts turn to fishing, not gobblers.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    you did a real good job telling that, John. that style kinda reminds me of Jackie Johnson (Abilene)...miss his posts, and i hope you continue to post:smile2:

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Willie,
    Just bustin' chops brother......I'm a die hard archery hunter myself. My prey of choice is whitetail....but I am an equal opportunity carnivore.

Rich