New Tundra anyone?

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by StuBone278, Nov 15, 2007.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I just wanted to get some of y'alls opinions on the new '07/'08 Tundras. I personally like the 06 models more, but the new ones come pretty good stock...

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i looked at them when i was shopping around for a new truck. they are nice but they didnt have as much interior room as i would have liked. and they were imho overpriced. they are nice trucks, but the price tag kind of made me shy away from them.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have an '07 Crewmax. A lot of room inside and a nice truck to drive. I have yet to play chicken with a giant swinging weight or try to pull containers out of canyons but it tows the boat really well. There are some issues with these trucks; camshafts were a problem in the first batch of the big motors and some guys have had transmission trouble. One of the strangest complaints is that the tailgates are not strong enough. Not the best thing on a truck that's supposed to "be changing everything".
    I have had no trouble with mine though, very pleased so far...W

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    personally i dont like them either, you never hear about there recalls like evrybody elses, but thought you would like to know that they recalled more vehicles last year than they actually built!!!!!there are more things wrong w/ these also my buddy works @ the new plant here in san antonio

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I like the looks of the new Tundra crew max and would love to own one. I have owned several Toyota's and have had great service from all of them. We just said farewell to a 1996 4-Runner that we put almost 200,000 on and never had one minutes trouble and did nothing but general service to it.

I currently own an 05 GMC Sierra crew Z-71 and it is just about to make a one way trip to the nearest Toyota dealership. I have just over 40,000 on the truck and the transfer case and transmission were just rebuilt within a month of each other. That was over $2,000 worth of repairs on a truck that is just out of warranty.:angry: I also have a leaking front axle seal, power steering pump that is going out, something crazy with the Bose stereo (crazy come and go engine whine through the speakers) and it is on its third set of front rotors. Not a good track record for the little amount of use it has seen. I am getting tired of working on this truck. Should not have had this much trouble with this truck. This is one of the best looking trucks I have ever owned but that is not getting the job done. I have owned my last GM product for a while.

I just don't like the thoughts of the large payment book that accompanies the price tag on the Tundra's. :sad2:

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like you folks need to look at the Ford Super Dutys. Good solid trucks.

7. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I don't see how they can recall more cars than they build, I did not think that was possible but maybe I am not understanding you comment all that well.:eek:oooh:
    On another note, I have a 2005 Tundra and there is a recall on the ball joints from the 2004 to the 2007 model I believe, Toyota has been draging to get this repairs done, I love my truck but hate the way corporate Toyota ignores the issue. Same thing they did with the Siena minivans a few years a go that had bad transmissions. I have been on the "waiting list" for the repairs for a year now, 2 calls to Toyota customer service, numerous more to the dealer, and the same answer, "Toyota only issues a few ball joints sets every month for the recall and you will have to wait your turn".

Now I had Ford vehicles before and they do have a good system for recalling they vehicles, got a card from them with a date to go to the dealer to have the issues taken care of.

8. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    BTW, the new Tundras are sharp, but fot the 40k price tag, why not a Lexus or Mercedes?

9. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    My best friend had a 2004 that he mainly got for towing.The version he got was supposed to be the top of the line package.The first time he towed he Jeep Wrangler on the way back home started to have a wobble.Turns out the back bumper bolts broke.Another mile his jeep would have passed us.Next week he took it back to them and told them to keep it.Thats the only negitive thing I have had with this truck other than moronic drivers.

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    "I don't see how they can recall more cars than they build, I did not think that was possible but maybe I am not understanding you comment all that well" i meant as a whole new and old sorry, they have always dragged their feet as far as recalls cuz they feel like it's not the factory's fault but who they get to manufacture it for them, if they drag their feet they dont have to foot the warranty bill all @ once i guess, just a few @ a time to keep their profits and image up!!! i dont know anyway i drive a ford truck to haul with, but a dodge charger to go to work only because the mustangs dont have enuff room!!!

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    They just hope you get rid of the thing so they can start over on the waiting list, which eventually leads to nothing...... thats what my buddy ended up doing, waiting list, well he waited and waited then ended up with a $500 a month yard ornament that was undriveable, he was told to have it fixed at his cost :eek:oooh: Yes I have had recalls on my Ford, and to be honest the last one I never worried much about it was to do with some sticker placement for safety, and they notified me 4 times to get it into the shop!, so I figured I BETTER GO get the new safety sticker replaced so they could stop sending me the notice to do so....... as far as owning one of the toy's, well just something that you don't see around here in farm country, if ya do you know there from out of town :big_smile:

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'm a chevy man myself, and have had good luck with both of mine. They all have troubles....i dont care how good some people make the toyota name out to be....even toyotas and hondas have trouble. Toyota has had a few problems with tranny, crankshaft, and ball joints. As usually they are overpriced. Also, think about how much replacement parts are gonna cost when it does require fixing (out of warranty of course). After saying all this, most of the people i've seen that have them, love them. I personally think they look funny, but that is personal opinion. As to the person who said they got 200,000 out of one of his, this doesn't impress me anymore. My uncle had a '94 ford van with 309,000 when he got rid of it, and it still ran great with nothing but regular maintenance, and even had the original tranny in it. A friend of mine has a '91 chevy truck with 317,000 original engine and tranny, no major repairs, he still drives it to work everyday. Know a guy who has over 400,000 on a chevy astro van, original engine/tranny it still runs but has finally developed a knock, so he's waiting to rebuild the engine. No major repairs. Its not just toyotas that can go 200,000.

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I used to be the manager at a Valvoline Oil change place for 5 years. In my time there, I have never seen anything come close to the miles that I have seen on Chevrolet and Fords trucks. Chrysler products, Toyota's, and other imports didn't even come close. I saw Chevrolet and Ford fleet vehicles regularly with over 300,000. The most I have seen was a 94 Chevrolet 1/2 ton, with a 4.3 V6 with 678,000 before the original motor blew up and it was sold to a junkyard. I used to service alot of Ford trucks with anywhere from 200-500,000 miles on them too.

14. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the toyotas are ok but way overpriced they dont hold a candle to a ford
    come to think about it nothing does