new toy

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by cathouse, Apr 1, 2009.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    well i am buying yet another vehicle a 1989 ranger extended cab 4x4 , just wanted to share and here comments . it has the small v6 2.9l 2" factory lift , lockers manual locking warn hubs , 5 spd manual .

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    My daughter has a similar truck hers has an automatic & a std. cab. They don't do much in the way of pulling but as far as transportation goes they are a good vehicle.

The main problem that they had with the trucks of that vintage was the firewalls rotting out. It created a worse concern on the ones equipped with manuals because the force of the clutch pedal against the firewall made it "blow out", sometimes causing accidents, as this would cause the vehicle to "reengage" back into gear.

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    not looking to do any heavy pulling got the 1 ton for that but more as daily driver slash low budget toy , probably wont go all out but definately going with 29 or 30" tires for starters .

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    well brought the ranger replaced the cats 2 from the factory piggy backed what gives with that ? tuned up changed all fluids small repairs and some comfort stuff all in all not bad fun to drive wont win any power or speed contest but fun little practical transportation . anyone else own one now or in the past let me know what you thought of yours good or bad , although not the baddest 4x4 by a long shot that little 2.9L is no slouch in the thick of it climbs like a goat .

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Keep an eye on the firewall cracking as said above, there is a kit to fix it if it does crack, there are 2 kits , a minor & severe one, basically just a plate to reinforce the clutch master cylinder to the firewall when it cracks